Thread: Best way to secure SAMBA?

Question Best way to secure SAMBA?

Well folks I want to share files from my Linux box to my Windows 2000 Pro box and I want to know how to best secure SAMBA. Right now I'm trying to get it to work, although it was working fine on an older install of Mandrake and I copied the smb.conf file from it...that's for another forum though, and once I do get it working what's the best way to lock it down? Don't need anybody doing nasty stuff to my Linux box as it's also serving as a NAT box for my wireless clients. Currently it's running smoothwall for firewall purposes, if you have a recommendation for something better feel free to make it as I'm always willing to try but for now it seems to be doing the job. If you have an alternative to SAMBA, sorry no FTP going to be streaming audio & video files at times, also feel free to suggest it. Thanks for the help folks.
    ----------------------------------------------

There are no stupid questions......wait...nevermind

You know I really feel like an idiot now.......I just took a look at my bookshelf and I own that book. I think I need to get some sleep if I can't remember what computer related books I own, DOH. Although I imagine that there may be some information that the book does not have on securing Samba, considering how good O'Reilly books usually are it probably isn't much though.
    ----------------------------------------------

There are no stupid questions......wait...nevermind

Assuming the Linux box has more than one interface, only have samba listen on the internal secure wired interface (if that's the one you're using) - which pretty much precludes the internet or wireless interfaces being able to access it ever. Use the "bind interfaces only" command.