Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Socket Error

Windows Socket Error

I'm trying to use a faxing software and when I go to send the fax I keep getting a Windows error that says "Windwos Socket Error". I'm told that I could have a corrupt windowssocket.dll file and that I need to replace it.

Anybody heard of such an error and if there is such thing as a windowsocket.dll file?

Thanks....

nebuluswonderer,

Are you sure the file is windowsocket.dll? Could you take a look at this and see if you wrote it correctly in your first post above?

Thanks.

Yeah that is what what I have been told. If I get the "Windows Socket Error" that my windowsocket.dll is corrupt and to copy this file from another machine to the one that is giving me a problem. Thanks...

if it IS your 'windows socket' dll file then the file you are looking for is actually called

winsock.dll

it's normally in c:\windows\system32

I don't know what OS your using .,,, if it's XP the version number should be 3.10.x.x

anyway if you have the system disks it's easy enough to replace whatever flavour of windows you have.

Incidentally I've also heard that some 3rd party fax 'ware also replaces the comm.drv file as well... you may wish to take a look at that one as well IF replacing the winsock.dll file doesn't work

hope it helps

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

nebuluswonderer.

Zonewalker is right and it you don't have winsock.dll on your PC it could be possible that you don't have the TCP/IP installed because when installed it puts the file called winsock.dll in c:\windows\system32. Check this.

Good luck.

You might also want to do a search for all copies of wsock32.dll and winsock.dll on your hard drive. You may have the correct version in your system32 directory, but have an older or corrupted one in another directory that is located on your path which the fax software is finding first.
    If you receive something that says \'Send this to everyone you know,\' pretend you don\'t know me.

well if your using win98 - you can removed dial up adapter from your network properties and removed the winsock2 folder from the registry under local machine - system - current controlset - services = then reboot and install dialup back in network properties = If another OS please post

if you have installed the tcp/ip and the problem remains try this url: www.dll-files.com .
    it is a little bit easier than to copy the dll from the setup disk.one more thing:
    are you sure that the os you are running fully supports the fax program you have installed?
    i was wondering if there is a bug.

you didn't say iFax so i assume youe talking anolog fax over a phone line. if your getting a winsock error in this case your software isn't configured correctly. regular faxing dosn't use tcp/ip. more details would be helpfull.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”