Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Undeletable file

Undeletable file

Ok, lets start by saying that this was a dumb move , i installed Kazaa on my computer . I saw a file that i wanted and downloaded it, i was suprised that it would take no time at all to download. So i go to my received files and i see the file with an extremely long name. i have tried to delete it and it just wont work. with right click it says "modify... etc" but not "delete" or "properties" or "scan with (fill in the blank) antivirus". it just sits there and im afraid its a trojan or virus of some sort. is there any way to get it off without deleting my system, im running xp on this setup? i even tried evidence eliminator, wont work. HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!
    thanx for any feedback
    sorry

what extension does the file have? .exe .mp3 .wav...? if you are not sure go here http://www.mpegnews.com/cdr.asp?dcat...ity&detail=204 to get a program to help assist you in determining what type of file it is.
    have you tryed deleting it through DOS? here is a link to a file shredder http://www.kazusoft.pair.com/softwar...r/download.htm try "file shredder" and other imaginative strings in a google search to find other such tools and if one doesn't work try another.
    another more adventuress approach would be to find the index of the file in the FAT or MFT and use disk probe or norton disk utilites to manually overwrite it.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Re: Undeletable file

Originally posted here by REDDFOX321
    So i go to my received files and i see the file with an extremely long name. i have tried to delete it and it just wont work. with right click it says "modify... etc" but not "delete" or "properties" or "scan with (fill in the blank) antivirus"
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Re: Undeletable file

rcgreen... I'm not on XP, but do you need to run taskmgr like it says to in that link? When that happens on my system I can just do the "Start>>Run>>command" and get my dos prompt and delete the file using it's dos name. XP may be different though. Any idea why this happens? Is it just unlucky coppuption of a file? I've had it happen a few times, but not enough to be worried. Deleting through the dos command prompt has worked fine on 98se and win2k server.
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

That has actually happend to me more than once. I usually use a program called complete delete, but i was unable to find it. Here's another link that might assist you in getting rid of that file. http://www.webattack.com/freeware/se.../fwerase.shtml

Unfortunately it is not really the extension of the file which is in question. In general in this case what it is necessary to do, (Go in the file, clique with the right button of the mouse on the file then on property, notch the caress reading alone, test with files) this manner you should be able to erase your file.

Talking Re: Undeletable file

Does the file can move to anothe place ? if can.then del the file in the command modes.
    or del the file with dos .have a try!

It's the length of the filename, dos doesn't support the extended filename length or the onry windows "delete" and truncates it so all you have to delete is skankw~1.mpg.
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

Thanx for all the replies. Dark Raider helped me out. you guys, and girls, are great
    sorry

go into dos (using a win 98 boot disk or some other boot disk that will NOT BOOT TO A GUI) and do the folowing:

use the {CD} command to navigate to the folder where it is held

remeber, you have to use DOS filenames which are derived from the folowing:

if the filename is 8 characters or less, then use the normal filename.

if the filename is more than 8 characters the take the first 6 characters and add {~#} where # is a number from 1-9.

you can get this number using {dir/p} to list all files in the directory.

use the {del} command to delete the file. i am not sure about the syntaxt but i believe {del <filename>} works just fine.

good luck and be carefull with what you download, in particular pay attention to file sizes and extentions.