Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows98 and netsend problem

Question windows98 and netsend problem

hi all, my question for you is simple: Do windows 98 keep logs from netsend?
    netsend for those that dont know what this is is a programm runing in dos where you can put someones IP and send him a message across a network or via internet
    wi2k keep logs from this programm, but i dont know how can i see logs from win98?
    do windows keep logs?if yes, where can i view 'em?

thanks and sorry for any spelling mistakes that i 've made
    I don\'t wanna grow up change my skateboard for a tie

I was never able to get net send to work on a win98 client. I can send from a win98 to a NT, 2k, and XP... but can't send to a win98 box.

I've never seen any logs for this in 98 either...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

To send TO a windows 98 box, you need to have Win-popup or similar installed and running on the 98 machine. That is the only way it will receive them. I cannot remember if you can make win-popup save a message log.
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca

My understanding is that win98 can receive messages but can't send them with out a third party program. Been a while since I used windows 98 so correct me if i'm worng.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

My understanding is that win98 can receive messages but can't send them with out a third party program. Been a while since I used windows 98 so correct me if i'm worng.
    I just tested it on one of my other boxes, and I was able to send FROM the 98 box TO a NT family pc...

I wasn't, however, able to send FROM a NT family pc TO a win98 box.

To send TO a windows 98 box, you need to have Win-popup or similar installed and running on the 98 machine. That is the only way it will receive them. I cannot remember if you can make win-popup save a message log.
    This has always been my understanding.

I don't think you can log them on the box itself, but Ethereal will catch them just fine. You just have to modify the filters.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I can't seem to figure out how to "net send" from win 98 either. I will try and test these theroies everybody has though. But! I need help trying to find ip add. How do i find someone's ip address or a particular person?
    Cory

You can use "net view" to see all the machines in your workgroup or domain, and then just "net send DNSName "message"" to the DNS name. The name will be translated into an IP address and the message will be sent to the other user.
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca

Yeah but i'm it says i'm the only one. There has got to be another way!
    Cory

like someone else said, you can use winpopup to send a mesg via a win98 network. it is real simple u just enter the domain of the computer you would like to send the msg and the other guy will receive it.
    anyways thanks for the info everyone

/edit Ethereal=external prog?

I don\'t wanna grow up change my skateboard for a tie

Ethereal is a windows-supporting packet sniffer.

Here's the deal as far as I know:

Windows 9x can send and recieve messages, but can only recieve them when the WinPopup program is active and running. In later windows versions, the message-recieving functions are always on as part of the OS.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency