Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When computers attack!!

I have never been hurt while repairing or building pc's but what frustrates me is the small places that you have to get into, especially if you have big hands.
    Practise what you preach.

Working in the field installing new pcs and servers I have come across all kinds of fun injuries

I have big hands and it's sometimes hard to get your hands in those small places so I usually skin my knuckles or bust a finger open when I start working on a PC. -El Diablo
    What is even worse is when you have smaller hands and you miss judge that and get yourself somehow stuck in the case with nothing but a screwdriver to pry yourself out.

I think the worst I did though was another employee and myself were carrying a 160 Addon Battery for a UPS and when we went to rack it on the bottom my hand slipped and I kinda sorta dropped it my hand I was lining it up with the rack. I had blood blisters for weeks. *OUCH
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

umm..yeah..my home doesnt have earthing, so the current keeps flowing in the computer all da time, wheneva i touch da metal on the cabinet, i can feel the current flowing in it, i love the feeling sometimes, but have heard that it can harm the cells in the body, so dont do it anymore. Also, i know that it's bad for the computer, but well

Oh and once we were trying to make a CD work, and it cracked inside the CD-ROM, when i opened it, it flew and poked me in my neck quite hard, but nothing serious till date.
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

I agree,

How come all cases "since the days of the 80286 12 Harris chip" has to have razor edges?

and how come you open a case and find a home-made 12 volt extention cable which the moron hadn't insulated properly and you're the one finding it out "the hard way".

anyone ever fixed those little leds on the Microcom modems? the ones that always "go dead" after the lightning storm 500km away?, try testing those while holding the modem in your hand "yeah I know, what can I say, I was young". needless to say I had a circuit board layout burnt onto my hand for a couple of weeks.

Not to mention the leak in a "plugged in on one side" RG58 cable.. Put it in your mouth and look like yahoo serious, seriously.

ever try to put a 5 1/4 inch hard drive into an old desktop pc which is ful of ide devices with large hands?

those old cases are sure rugged but i never did it again after remodelling my hands trying to get the thing in place, thats why the new computer is a tower, for the sake of no hand trauma

I myself have problems taking out nic's. Every freakin' time, they cut me, and to top it off, I'm allergic to band-aids, so I have to wrap a piece of scotch tape around my finger. By the end of the day, it's a pretty funny sight.
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

I was unplugging my case so I could set it on my desk and work on it and a guitar string had somehow found its way down to the surge protector. I pulled it out of the way and ended up catching it on the + and ground of the plug. I saw a large blue flash and ended up on the floor wondering what had happened. My surge protector now has a burn mark on it to remind me that I need not leave any unwanted metal objects near it. Another time I was putting a new HD in and while pulling the old one out I cut my fingers on the edge bad enough I had to get stitches.

treyain

heh, i had to remove a modem in an old rusty P60, wouldnt budge, so i put my finger into the port (no wize ass comments plz :P) and pushed while i pulled, the result was it moving, and my finger getting sliced open, i was a junoir tech when i done it, now i use a screwdriver if its stuck.

another was burning my finger along the plastic edge of ram, i dunno howi done it but it blistered up.

hehe
    Preep
    http://www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/forum/tn/youarenot.gif.html

I decided one day that I would play a prank on someone (i know, not computer building related, but electronics ) by getting... you see there's a little black square inside of a disposable camera. So what I did was I took the whole piece out and using insulated wire I built the current up, and I was walking back to get more wire when I stepped on it (and me without my shoes or socks) and got shocked... it was not that nasty of a shock... but you know you feel it more when you're not expecting it

Anyway, I got these Network Adaptars for a good deal so I bought them all a while ago. When I got a new computer, I was ready to connect it to the already established network so I took out the adapter and plugged it in, and it being in a box in the garage next to the ceiling for about eight months kinda gave a shock if you ask me, it turns out there was like a spider or something inside the power and phoneline plugs

Regards,
    Silentstalker
    -{[ Joe ]}- (Joe@nitesecurity.com)
    http://www.nitesecurity.com

[shadow]I\'m Just A Soldier In This War Against Ignorance.[/shadow]

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Computers can be nasty little fellows , aren't they, hehe.

My girlfriend always asks where those scratches on my hands come from.
    Now I bought myself a nice big case and my hands and my girlfriend are grateful.

Fortunally for me those shocktherapies never happened here ...
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby