Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future WTC Building to be Bigger

Future WTC Building to be Bigger

This is an article from yahoo.com that sound's kind of weird and crazy in a sense. Give me your thoughts on it:

NEW YORK - Skyscrapers even taller than the 110-story World Trade Center towers, and memorials ranging from twin reflecting pools to a "Park of Heroes," are among the newest round of proposals for rebuilding ground zero.

"These are designs not only for our time, but for all time," John Whitehead, chairman of the Lower Manhattan Development Corp., said as the new plans were unveiled Wednesday. "They must transcend the present, to speak to our children and to their children ... to send an immortal message."

The nine new proposals — the second round of plans to redevelop the site where 2,800 people died in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attack — take a variety of approaches to the 16-acre site in lower Manhattan.

Four of the plans proposed creating the tallest building in the world, topping Malaysia's 1,483-foot Petronas Twin Towers. One recommended a 2,100-foot skyscraper, while another called for a 1,776-foot tower topped with a spire.

The plans for rebuilding the site and surrounding neighborhood came from seven teams of architects from Berlin, London, Amsterdam, Tokyo, New York and Los Angeles, and were selected from 407 submissions. A choice is expected by Jan. 31.

A first group of plans, released in July, was derided as boring and overstuffed with office space.

The presentations began with Daniel Libeskind, the Berlin-based architect who designed that city's Jewish Museum. His plan included a museum at the epicenter of ground zero and a 1,776-foot tower.

"A skyscraper rises above its predecessors ... restoring the spiritual peak of the city, creating an icon that speaks to our vitality in the face of danger and our optimism in the aftermath of tragedy," he said to applause. "Life victorious."

Architect Richard Meier, who designed the Getty Museum in Los Angeles, said his team's plan includes a floating "memorial plaza" on the Hudson River and a park with 2,800 small lights for each victim of the Sept. 11 attack.

"The most important aspect of our plan is the way in which all of the thinking is integrated into the memorial," Meier said.

A plan by Foster and Partners proposed a "twinned tower," a skyscraper that would divide into two parts but "kiss" at three points to create public space and observation decks.

United Architects opted for a proposal with five futuristic, connected buildings creating "a veil" surrounding the space containing a memorial. Observers would go below ground zero and look up into the sky as part of the memorial.

Each plan includes a memorial. One places it on top of a building, while another incorporates a formal, sunken garden. A specific memorial design will be chosen after a separate international contest next year.

"It's been the most remarkable undertaking of my career, and I've worked on very large, controversial projects before," said Frederic Schwartz, a New York architect on one of the teams.

The designs will be on public display in the city's World Financial Center and posted on the development corporation's Web site.

The proposals must include 6.5 million to 10 million of office space on the trade center site — plus a hotel and mall — and up to 3.5 million of commercial space at its perimeter.

Robert Yaro, president of the Regional Plan Association, said that is still too much commercial space at the trade center site.

"It's not a disagreement about architecture at this point," Yaro said. "The question is, what's inside the buildings? And is this the best thing for lower Manhattan?"
    This is strange IMHO. The plans for the ground zero site about 6 months ago was to have a memorial or the WTC but smaller. I heard that they would re-make it, but not be a sky-scraper or anything big. Then I heard it would be nothing but a memorial to those that died in the attacks. I guess the construction plans for it are kind of changing, but their arguments for either one change even more.

"It's not a disagreement about architecture at this point," Yaro said. "The question is, what's inside the buildings? And is this the best thing for lower Manhattan?"
    If you ask me, what would be inside it would be the offices or whatever was in it before and/or a memorial. Is this the best thing for lower Manhattan? No, IMHO. They should have either a small memorial or the same thing as before, just smaller. Creating smaller offices (in height atleast) is better IMHO. I just find it strange that now their argument is to make it bigger. What are they going to get out of it if they make it bigger? What's your opinion?...
    Space For Rent.. =]

ill put an attachment on here that goes with your post, lol i thought it was kinda cool.
    anyway here ya go.

The entire site should be made into a cemetary for the homeless.

http://www.correctionhistory.org/htm...hartbook2.html
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Originally posted here by rcgreen
    The entire site should be made into a cemetary for the homeless.
    ...or maybe a home for the homeless?
    i will shoot you so hard.

I say build exact replicas of the buildings only bigger and badder. Put some sam sites up there and let anybody try anything then.
    Alright take it ease

So no one is cool with the memorial idea or having the same thing but smaller? I figured the bigger idea wouldn't be too popular, guess I was wrong. Any other opinions?...
    Space For Rent.. =]

http://www.msnbc.com/news/849103.asp

there are som wacky ideas going around for there.
    God save the President and his fascist regime!

Originally posted here by MrBert
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/849103.asp

there are som wacky ideas going around for there.
    Haha, thanks for the link MrBert. How come all of those have to do with some art form of architecture or something and not a plan to rebuild or create a memorial? None of the choices allowed for a memorial or anything of the like, it was more like how it should be built. The city has provided funding for the rebuilding process, yet their plans are still in a scramble. Anyone want to share what they think it should be and why?
    Space For Rent.. =]

WORLD TRADE

You can't just turn it in to a park or a home for the homless.... All those companys that officed there before have to have a place to go. You would have to have some sort of commercial office space, to help pay for all of the rebuilding..... we need to rebuild and get back to the way things were I don't think all those people who died would want us to turn it in to a big mamorial with out getting it back to some sort of bussiness.... I think the rebuilding of the site would improve economy and help people cope with the losses.....weather it is biger or smaller it will not make a differance it is the impact it would have on the people who visit it or work their every day.......
    why?

Re: WORLD TRADE

Originally posted here by crashburn181
    You can't just turn it in to a park or a home for the homless.... All those companys that officed there before have to have a place to go. You would have to have some sort of commercial office space, to help pay for all of the rebuilding..... we need to rebuild and get back to the way things were I don't think all those people who died would want us to turn it in to a big mamorial with out getting it back to some sort of bussiness.... I think the rebuilding of the site would improve economy and help people cope with the losses.....weather it is biger or smaller it will not make a differance it is the impact it would have on the people who visit it or work their every day.......
    well, the thing is, you can't deny the fact that homelessness is, in fact, a big deal. i think that making sure there is a place for those who are less fortunate to stay is more important than assuring those that are relatively well-to-do continue to get more money.

help those who can't help themselves, rather than those who can.
    i will shoot you so hard.