Thread: Windows XP Command Line

Windows XP Command Line

I purchase a lot of books mail order and recently had received an announcement for Windows XP Command Line by Carolyn Gillay and Bette Peat. The advertisement said it was for experienced users and covered advanced features of Windows XP command lines, network troubleshooting, advanced recovery etc..

Anyway I had never been steered wrong by this company before and I ordered the book. The book came, 908 pages, impressive size. I started to browse through the book and immediately realized that this is not what was advertised. This book is remedial dos, don't waste your money.

For example at page 19 I learn how to insert a floppy disk into my Win XP computer in painstaking detail.

To insert a 3 1/2 inch disk properly into the disk drive, place your thumb on the label with the metal shutter facing away from you and toward the floppy disk drive (see figure 1.3). On some computers the floppy disk drive is installed vertically. To determine which way to insert the disk it is helpful to know that the side of the disk with the circular metal disk is the bottom of the disk. The bottom of the disk always faces the bottom of the drive. Slip the disk into the slot and gently push the disk into the drive until you hear it click and/or feel it snap into place. When the disk is properly in place, the small rectangular button on the floppy dive will pop out.
    By the time I get to page 65 I learn what to do with that floppy I just learned to put into my Windows XP computer!

Key in the following: C:\> A: [enter]

What's Happening? By simply keying in a letter followed by a colon, you are telling the system that you want to change your work area to that designated drive. Thus, when you keyed in A:, you changed the work area from the hard disk , Drive C, to the floppy disk in Drive A. You have now made A: the default drive.
    How can they advertise that this book is for experienced users? I would hate to see what these people would write for inexperienced users.
    If you receive something that says \'Send this to everyone you know,\' pretend you don\'t know me.

WTF!!

What kind of idiot takes 46 pages to explain how to insert a floppy disk...
    I can only imagine what the rest of the book is like.
    I buy a lot of PC books... but I'll be sure to steer clear of that one...

If I were you, I'd put that off on some "h4x0r newbie" on e-Bay.

Advertise it... L337 m$ H4x0rs and 7|-|3 c0mm4nd Lin3.....

Your sure to get top dollar.

Sorry... my l337 speak is not up to par... never really used it much since I was like 10.... and that was just for like 2 days till I couldn't read what the hell I was writing.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

sounds like PCs for Dummies without the terrible humor.

i suppose i really shouldn't say that, some of its actually pretty funny, and some might require this to releive the tension of applying ones self to an unfamiliar subject.

thanks for the heads up on this one magnoon! i hope it had a "what readers think" section for the book.

or

Others who bought this book also bought:

Bobing for French Fries
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Could have been call dos for idoits, morons and fools. If it took 908pgs. to demo the basics of DOS basic features. Hopefully they be sending you the Advanced boo|< by the time U finish that one:-}
    If not donate 2 someone who can use it!

peace,Phaza7 Stupidity Rules!,in modern socitey

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    WTF!!

What kind of idiot takes 46 pages to explain how to insert a floppy disk...
    I can only imagine what the rest of the book is like.
    lol true true.
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

The sad thing about this is that people can write a 908 page book on the command prompt, when pretty much everything you will ever need to know about the command prompt is in the help files packed in with Windows anyway. The fact that these people can write a book like this and make money off it ruins me

It's a gas!
    To insert a 3 1/2 inch disk properly into the disk drive, place your thumb on the label with the metal shutter facing away from you and toward the floppy disk drive (see figure 1.3). On some computers the floppy disk drive is installed vertically. To determine which way to insert the disk it is helpful to know that the side of the disk with the circular metal disk is the bottom of the disk. The bottom of the disk always faces the bottom of the drive. Slip the disk into the slot and gently push the disk into the drive until you hear it click and/or feel it snap into place. When the disk is properly in place, the small rectangular button on the floppy dive will pop out.
    LMFAO!
    They're having a laugh, right!?
    But seriously you have to give it to the author(s), i mean, how the feck did he span instructions for inserting a floppy disc over 100 odd words, that guy talks some ****!