Thread: Music Industry bites back on file sharing!

It's a gas!

Music Industry bites back on file sharing!

It appears the Music Inustry and Hollywood are taking the law into there own hands now, affecting Windows XP and WinAmp users!

A security firm on Wednesday warned that people using Windows XP or popular music player WinAmp could fall prey to a vulnerability, enabling a modified music file to take control of a person's PC.
    Flaws in both pieces of software could introduce malicious MP3 or Windows Media files--which sound identical to unmodified music--into the file-swapping systems, said George Kurtz, CEO of Foundstone.

"These particular vulnerabilities are definitely attack vectors for any people or entity that is looking to go after those that are taking part in file-swapping activities," he said.

The music industry and Hollywood are eyeing such hacking tactics as a way to stop file swappers from trading copyrighted music in the future. A bill sponsored by Rep. Howard Berman, D-Calif., and Howard Coble, R-N.C., and introduced into the U.S. House of Representatives in July, would allow copyright owners limited rights to hack into peer-to-peer networks.
    ARTICLE

Just seen powertoad5000's heads up on this, so heres the link to the vulnerability in full

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=237852

Cheers

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Yet another excellent reason to buy your music from a music store and avoid these P2P systems.......

They are simply becoming tooooooooo risky........
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

or only use a real opperating system..
    WindowsXP and winamp MUHAHAHAHA

I am a devoted user of giFT and loving it..

Music CD's and most software is so overpriced..
    And I'd like to check out the stuff before I buy..
    So first I try it out.. If I think it's quality stuff, I get the CD or DVD..

So I do BUY CD's, DVD's etc.. but only if I liked the demo (mp3 / ogg / divx) !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

It's a gas!
    And I'd like to check out the stuff before I buy..
    So first I try it out.. If I think it's quality stuff, I get the CD or DVD..

So I do BUY CD's, DVD's etc.. but only if I liked the demo (mp3 / ogg / divx) !!
    Im do exactly the same, i mean whats the point going out and spending your hard earned cash, just to find out the album you bought is complete crap!

Haven't tried giFT yet but im willing to try everything at least once.

Cheers

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Jinx: But is the risk of losing your system worth it?

I do not doubt that the RIAA has to change the way it markets and sells music - and that it is the responsibility of the RIAA _alone_, (they shouldn't be having Intel make chips that won't do **** under certain circumstances etc.), and until they fix _their_ problem they should quit using underhand, (read hacking/virus/malware), tactics to mess with the system.

Don't get me wrong here at all...... IMO, the RIAA and the industry in general are acting like a bunch of 6 year olds who have had their chocolate milk taken away. They have reaped the benefits of the pre-digital era to the tune of billions and billions of dollars. Yet they were not smart enough to see where the future was taking them and invest some of their ill-gotten gains in researching and altering the way they run their business..... They sat back, fat, dumb and happy while the ca$h rolled in and now it's all our fault and our problem 'cos we are the "bad" people....... Morons......

That is my personal opinion of the wankers........

OTOH.... They kinda have a point.... and I have to respect the fact that the music and movies etc. are the hard work of someone else and they shouldn't be left out of the picture, (I'm not going to argue the "how much?" part of the equation simply because if the artist only receives 1% from the industry - it's better than the nothing they get from the majority of the P2Pers).

In the end it will sort itself out in it's own way..... I think you see more and more artists distributing their works on the internet either themselves or through "clearing houses"... I think you're gonna see the RIAA fall flat on it's face eventually since they have proven already that they find it hard to adapt to technology - (well.... except for the hi-tech cash registers.....<LOL>).
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

It's a gas!
    Yeah notcied that post about the vulnerability myself so posted it at the bottom of my first post giving credit to powertoad5000 for the find.

However that heads up didnt mention the fact that the Music Industry and Hollywood were taking advantage of this, hence the topic of the thread!

ok sorry then!
    thx for clearing that up!
    i semm to have problems with that lately