Thread: hacker confesses, but nothing happens

hacker confesses, but nothing happens

Recently read an article from wired.com about the whole jehad.net website.

To sum up the story, a manager of a Minnesota financial services firm 'gained' control of not only jehad.net but also jehadonline.org

He admits to hacking the registrats hotmail account by guessing the hint word, and also changing the hotmail's password. Now claiming control of these two domains.

The article goes on about how the FBI and other law enforcement agencies were already strongly monitoring the two websites, and say that his interference could hamper their investigation into the sites.

My thought to this is mainly, that this manager of this firm is getting no charges of hacking or anything of the sort.
    Curious to what you all think.

Hoping I wont get neg'd for posting the original article:
    "One Man's Info War on al-Qaida" by Brian McWilliams at wired.com
    http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,56896,00.html

I don't understand this...

He admits to hacking a "terrorist site" and there is nothing wrong with it?
    What kind of message are they putting out there by ignoring this?

What he did was illegal. He should face the same consequenses as anyone else... unless the .gov wanted him to do it...

<always thinking conspiracy theory>
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

That does set a bad precedent, even if it was a terrorist website.

Banned
    Im not sure if they could arrest that guy because I don't think anybody sent any complaints about it or whatever. However I do think they could have arrested this guy for messing around with the investigations.

Umm.... I think I crashed the internet - Ph3ar

Its not that the government asked him, infact some people say because of what he has done, hes actually interfered with the FBI's investigation.

But its not like he's some "l33t" hacker, all he did was guess a Hotmail "hint" answer.
    Probably why they don't care to much.

Notica

They guy

Unless someone complains, this guy cannot be arrested.However FBI cannot blame him for messing up their investigation because he didnt know.I am surprised, cuz if they were really doing an investigation on these sites, they should have tracked him down and make him change back the password.

However I am sure FBI will be investigating what else he's been up to....

We cannot say it's OK to hack into these sites because it needs to be proven they that were really terrorist sites.

Is it OK to break and enter into a criminal's house ?

Dr_Evil

bah, they just haven't charged him yet. They most likely are looking in to what crimes he may have committed and what they can charge him with legally. Just watch this case for a little bit before having a knee-jerk reaction.

It doesn't matter that no one complained about it, he has still broken the law and (hopefully) will be held accountable for it.

If a police officer walks by a building with a window broken out of it and a guy sitting around outside with glass all over himself that admits to doing it then he can arrest him even though no one called it in or complained about it happening.

I will watch this with interest.

El Diablo