Sniffer for dialup interface?

Thread: Sniffer for dialup interface?

Sniffer for dialup interface?

Hey Peeps. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of or used a tool to sniff on a modem/analog interface. I am basically looking for a tool - preferrably free, of course - that accomplishes the same thing as tcpdump/windump for Ethernet interfaces. We ran into a situation where we wanted to monitor traffic on a machine that was dialed up to the internet, and it would have proven to be valuable information where we able to do so. I appreciate any help as always. So far, my search has been unsuccessful, but I will continue to look on the net.

Thanks,

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Can't you just use Ethereal and change the adapter?

I haven't been on dial up in a while, or I would test it for you.

What OS are you on? If you are on Win9x or check out win sniffer

Does Win Sniffer works with dial-up modem?
    Yes, it works with dial-up modem but only on Win95/98/Me. Win Sniffer doesn't work with dial-up modem on Windows NT/2000
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I tried using Ethereal and changing the interface/adapter, but the modem is not an option available in the drop down box. So I guess the answer to your question is No. I apologize; I forgot to mention that I am using Win2k. Ugh!

Smile

Check out this.

Here is what I'm interested in.

To correctly install capture driver in Windows 2000 operating systems you must follow these steps.

1. Open Windows 2000 Control Panel.
    2. From Windows Control Panel make a double click on "Network and Dial-up Connections" icon. Then double click "Local Area Connection". In the new window click on the 'properties' button.
    3. Click on the Install button in the window where you can install new network components.
    4. In the next window choose the line labeled Protocol...
    5. . . . and click on Add button.
    Then click on the Have Disk button and on following window choose the full path where you have uncompressed the network device driver (this folder must contain the files packet.inf and packet.sys). Click on the OK button.

6. Choose the voice BPF Packet capture Driver v X.XX (where X.XX is the number of the version you are installing). Follow instructions displayed on your monitor (Note: this installation can ask you the CD containing Windows 2000).
    7. In the list containing network components, you can now see a line labeled BPF Packet capture driver vX.XX.
    The driver creates the binding on all the network interface installed on your computer. If some interface must not be used to capture packets you can remove the binding for that specified interface.

At this point select OK and reboot the machine.
    Try this with the dial up adapter. I don't know if it'll work, but its worth a try.

For the first time ever... I wish I had dail-up... just so I could test some of this.

A product called CommView also claims to have this ability. You can check it out here.

It costs $$. There is a 30 day trial trial though.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Thanks, I will check this out and get back with the results. I appreciate your help on this. I felt like something like this had to exist out there. I know I couldn't be the only one that ever thought "Hey, I want to sniff packets across a dialup interface/adapter."

Smile

...accomplishes the same thing as tcpdump/windump for Ethernet interfaces
    i know a good one, windump!
    if you install the Network Monitor Driver (as described above by phishphreek80) that you should find on your 2k CD you can use windump with the "-D" flag and get a list of interfaces, choose your WAN adapter with "-i x", where x is if num, when you run windump!
    i have done this, so it works.

and its FREE...

edit: you must also have WinPCap installed.
    edit: i forgot to state i am dialing up.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

tcpdump

hmmmm...

tcpdump -i ppp0

or just use ethereal

Raven