View Poll Results: Is a "Hacker Parliament" a feasible idea ?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 57.14%
  • No

5 35.71%
  • Can\'t say

1 7.14%

Thread: Inproperly configured proxies

Exclamation Inproperly configured proxies

I thought I would add this after installing a proxy. Then finding out that it wasn't doing what i thought is was doing.

stumbled across a very cool site while exploringhttp://www.all-nettools.com
    There you test your proxy and the site will even tell you your ip

If you get a message saying "You're proxy is detected!" Then you must reconfigure it because people can see your ip addy. If it says "Proxy not Detected" then your pretty safe to surf in privacy.
    This site has a powerful search engine and other uilitites that is interesting! They claim to be big on privacy!

--------------------------------

Phaza7 , dont mind me but do you think by any chance you can give me a GOOD proxy list to use with my cable modem.Because every proxy that i try to use that i used to use is either down or it is in another Language.Every proxy i try to use with my cable never works , so do you think you can give me a few sufficient proxies?
    thanx
    -N
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

you get a message saying "You're proxy is detected!" Then you must reconfigure it because people can see your ip addy. If it says "Proxy not Detected" then your pretty safe to surf in privacy.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't it the other way around?

If it says "You're proxy is detected!", then you are using someone elses ip and you can surf in "privacy".

If it says "Proxy not Detected", then you are using your own ip and you are not surfing in "privacy".

Like on my home network, I have a proxy/firewall setup, but it uses my ISP assigned IP.

I mostly use it for the firewall and to cache to speed up the connection. It helps some, but not a lot.

If you were using someone elses proxy server, then you use a client application to connect to the server and your traffic is redirected to your box.

I think I'm right, but not quite sure. Feedback appreciated.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Thanks man............that Net-tools is a cool site.....

Thanks, Phishphreek80 for correcting me. I was in a hurry when writing that post.

Also, I currently don't have a list of proxies for cable modems, but try getting a shell account.

freeshell.org, XOX.pl, ROOTshell.be just to name a few.

Once again thanxs!

ok. im a little confused here.

i run my LAN through my own proxy server set up on an old machine i had lying around.
    i do the proxy test, it specifies my modem's IP address but says i do not have a proxy. a smartwhois reaps CenturyTel address, phone, etc. which is my ISP. rather, it gives me the IP of my modem, not the proxy box or any other computer on the LAN.

would that mean that anyone on the inside of my proxy is safer since it couldnt give me my IP address?
    or does it mean that since the proxy is not between the site and my modem, it wouldnt identify it?
    either way, i guess im just clarifying that the home proxy provides some annonymity, but a call to centurytel would reveal who has this IP?
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

cool site

Thankz phaza7

I am glad that you stumbled across this very cool site.Real handy for me....

Dr_Evil

Now, I'm not 100% correct, but I think I am really close...

i run my LAN through my own proxy server set up on an old machine i had lying around.
    i do the proxy test, it specifies my modem's IP address but says i do not have a proxy. a smartwhois reaps CenturyTel address, phone, etc. which is my ISP. rather, it gives me the IP of my modem, not the proxy box or any other computer on the LAN.
    Because you have your own proxy on your lan, everyone uses one ip address. It is similar to NAT except for there is no cache/firewall.

If you were to use someone elses proxy, you would then take over their ip address. It will make your request look like it is coming from somewhere else. Like spoofing...

would that mean that anyone on the inside of my proxy is safer since it couldnt give me my IP address?
    or does it mean that since the proxy is not between the site and my modem, it wouldnt identify it?
    either way, i guess im just clarifying that the home proxy provides some annonymity, but a call to centurytel would reveal who has this IP?
    If you use a proxy in your home, it will still show your ip address, but not which machine on your network. It is still traced back to you(isp assigned ip), but not to which machine(you assigned ip).

One main advantage of a proxy is that, instead of having all of your macines open to the internet, you would only have one machine. That machine serves as the proxy/firewall.

All of your other machines will go through the proxy/firewall. The proxy/firewall would relay the traffic based on a set of defined rules but the proxy can also monitor web traffic and urls. It can cache common pages so the load is faster for the rest of the machines on the network.

Wait... I found a perfect deffinition of it.. explains much better than I.
    proxy server

A good example of a public proxy would be anonymizer

Attached is a quick network diagram I modified to show where a proxy is located on the a sample network.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

ok. that makes sense.
    my proxy is not an anonymizer. it just serves up internet and keeps trouble out.
    it would only make me anonymous if centurytel decided to keep me anonymous.
    but it still makes my modem IP available. the proxy software would keep them out of the inner network but would point someone to my general direction.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

qwerty_smith: exactly right... at least how I understand it