Originally posted here by mayhem991
If this is true it will help the multinational corporations communicate. At present we can't send some information via email.
Mayhem, this is already a 'fait accompli' (sp). There are a couple of commercial secure email services available, one even has Phil Zimmerman on "The Board". The problems i found with them was they were painfully slow on the dial-up download for the free accounts i tried out, that's why i went to my own solution with PGP. The commercial secure email providers do, however, give reasonable security because the email is SSL from keyboard to server to keyboard, sender to receiver, and at least one of the outfits keeps the actual email on their own servers. The one Magnoon aimed us at would be a good solution for a business that had it's *own* server, as the program resides on the server and double-encrypts the email from the sender's keyboard, then the receiver decrypts it at their keyboard.
If you represent a company that exchanges sensitive messages via email, and "the board" does not authorize the chump-change expense of security for those messages similar to what Magnoon showed us at ByteFusion we were talking about or someone similar, then shame on "the board" when your competition buys its way into your email stream! The worst part is, you won't even be aware it's happened, until your commercial bids don't quite make it, your "specials" are about ten-percent above the competition, and your R&D projects, "hot offers" and patent applications are about a week slower than the competition, and your competition has your customer list.... Just joking... none of that stuff happens, does it? I mean, no large company would hire a topnotch IT whiz, then have him/her get an IT position at the competition, now, would they? And they could *never* bribe an IT set of fingers at the competition's console, could they? Secure email at the corporate level has a lot of ramifications, much too lengthy for our discussion here.
Good luck, and go investigate those secure email solutions, maybe if you know more about them than your boss does, you'll be explaining it to "the board". Not a bad deal at all for your career progression!