CD drive wont read...

Thread: CD drive wont read...

CD drive wont read...

For some darned reason, my computer wont detect ANY CD in my sole CD-drive. When I double click my computer to bring up the screen with all removable media, I only see "A:\" and "C:\," among other things, yet no "D:\," my cd-drive. I cant burn anything, neither play my games that require a cd.

When I go to the device manager, there is a yellow exclamation point next to my cd-drive ( Samsung CD-RW SW-224B). When I check the properties, this is what i get:

"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"

Im pretty positive the driver is updated, but imma head to the Samsung site. Any feedback would be helpful.
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

What OS are you running? Win9x or 2k?

You should uninstall the CDrom...

in device manager, right click the device, then click uninstall.

After it was uninstalled, 9x will ask you to reboot. 2k, you can reinstall it by clicking on the refresh icon.

it will ask you to specify the driver.

It sounds like your driver got corrupted.

Either use you existing one, or download a newer one from the manufacturers website.

That should fix it.

You may want to take some compressed air and "blow off" your laser.

It is also possible that your IDE cable shook loose. You may want to double check that too.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Showtime8000,

phishphreek80 is right and you could take a look at your BIOS configuration to see if your CD drive is installed there. Sometimes computers get crazy and we don't now what to do.

Good luck!!!

Just found this... check out q314060 article

from here

41 Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41) A driver was loaded but Windows cannot find the device. This happens when Windows does not detect a non-Plug and Play device.
    If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, install the device, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. If the hardware was not removed, obtain a new or updated driver for the device.

If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, a newer version of the driver might be needed. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add Hardware wizard. Click Performance and Maintenance on Control Panel, click System, and on the Hardware tab, click Add Hardware Wizard.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.
    Pretty much what I said in my last post... but the q article is what is interesting to me. I actually had this problem when I uninstalled Roxio EzCd... so thats why I included it.
    That requires deleting some registry keys... so backup your registry to floppy first!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Developer Extraordinar
    The same thing happened to me, check and make sure all the cables are
    a)Connected
    and
    b)Working
    Once you checked that, and they are broken, or not working, buy other cable, and they are working and pluged in, check you BIOS, there is probably a problem there, then, go to the deveroper's website, and download the latest drivers, and finally if that dosn't work, you CD-ROM drive is most likeley broken.
    Come to UnError.com

1- 1- make sure that divice is set to ( enable) in the device properties under device manager.
    3- reinstall the drivers " the one u have should work "
    4- check cabling " from both sides "
    5- check bios
    6- check the connector of the cd rom device
    7- try another cable
    ( finally )
    8- try another cd-rom drive.
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

Just an update to my situation...

Turns out it WAS an error with a "corrupted" entry pointing to the configuration of the CD-drive. (Code 19) I visited the Microsoft site, identified the problem (and yes, it had to do with the installation of Easy CD Creator), and set off to delete the invalid registry keys.

Here comes the painful part. After backing up my registry I deleted the entries Microsoft told me to. However, one data entry that needed to be deleted wasnt where it was supposed to be, and I got worried for some reason. I used the find command and searched for the missing link. I ended up deleting FIVE (5) DATA ENTIES to many! (Doh!)

For lack of space, I will summarize the rest of what happened. Windows wouldnt boot up, my registry had been corrupted, and my HD was on the brink of extinction. Wonderful. After calling HP, I ran the system recovery CD and after 2 hours, Im back.

Which comes to my point: If it aint broke, dont fix it. Now I gotta delete all these crappin AOL ads that mucked up my comp with the reinstallation of all original files shipped with the comp.
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!