Thread: RAS services, Protocol GRE 47

RAS services, Protocol GRE 47

Hello all. I am trying to install a product which connects to a server via vpn. These are the problems that i am having and i dont know why. I was told to install Protocol GRE 47 on my firebox. From my understanding Protocol GRE 47 is enablint port 47 for ip. Now i still cant connect to the server by vpn. I called up Technical support and they said that i need ras services installed. By the way im using WIN2k pro service pack 3. I dont have a RAS server installed, but they say i need the services installed. Im not to sure how to do that. When i googled that it basically told me that i need a RAS server. Now why do i need RAS services if im going in via vpn. Also the vpn port 1723 is open on my firebox as well. how would i install Ras services on my machine if i dont have a ras server????

Thanx
    -SOIA
    Alright take it ease

Hmm..

My assumption is what you are referencing is you need RAS to use GRE is (PPTP in Microsoft Speak.)

PPTP was available in 95/98/NT but I do believe that after the Windows 2k and it's implementation of IPSEC that PPTP was kicked to the curb.

I would still have to think that the RAS client would have PPTP.

Not much help I know but perhaps I helped.
    guudr
    guudr@yahoo.com

PPTP

Hey soia. I am not sure I follow what's happening here, but I did a preliminary search on M$ Knowledge Base and came up with some links that may help. They even have diagrams to help. The search results are here . If you haven't already found this, it should give you a good starting point. I just did a search on pptp.

guudr: PPTP is still around for Win2k. We were using it until we switched to a Cisco solution.

I hope this helps.

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Let me rewrite what i wrote here because i dont understand it to well myself. I did a couple of tests and here are the results. I have this program called the compatability checker. It basically setsup the vpn tunnel that i have to create to see if it attaches to there server. I tried this on a connection outside my firewall and it went through no problem. I realize that the problem is no RAS but the firewall. I added a service in my firewall that would allow tcp port 1723 and ip port 47 to pass through. When i put my machine behind the firewall i get a 619 error, port disconnected. any clues as to what i may be doing wrong??
    Alright take it ease

ok.Got it to Work. This is what i found out. Protocol 47 [GREA] is ip port 47. Tcp port 1723 also has to be open. Both those ports were opened up and were allowing access. What i failed to do was to give the incoming server a path.So i went into the firewall and set a path up for that incoming server. The path was to my internal network and when i rebooted the firewall and tested it out it all worked. Id like to thank guudr and t2k2 for your help it is always greatly appreciated.

-SOIA
    Alright take it ease