On copying DVDs

Thread: On copying DVDs

On copying DVDs

Personally I don’t have the time or the inclination to make copies of my stuff for others. Besides, doing this would be illegal.

But:

Being rather tough on CDs and DVDs making copies to use and keeping the original save has always been an appreciated option. If I loan someone a CD or DVD, get it back during a subsequent visit, and leave it in the car where the sun can hit it, bye bye bunch-o-money!

The MPAA is trying (again) to make software that allows us to do this illegal, thereby calling the entire population criminals.

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,56960,00.html

Maybe a class action should be filled against them for deformation of character!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

greetings,

tedob1, its illegal to lend your DVD's and CD's to people too!
    perhaps in the future the technology available will force these laws to be relaxed. if technologies such as BlueRay take off that is. basically, the movie industry jumped at the chance to put movies onto a disk, the DVD, and there was a massive push to getting DVD players into peoples homes. they may make a similar push in the future with blueray but unless it is made backwards compatible this would not be justifiable. because the discs (i don't know the acronym) can store 13 hours of video and this is not necessary for todays movies and movie budgets. i don't think consumers will be too happy with having to collect their movies again (ideally doubling profits). but IF this technology was not pushed on the masses then it would most likely only be available in the latest computer models. apparently this would not be a problem as The Dawn of Cinematic Computing is apon us. seemingly the conversion is possible but not "smooth". ultimately however, larger and larger storage will be available, perhaps an xray optical disc drive, and perhaps you will store you collection on a disc. in relation to real 'piracy' and rented licences for film: including the invention of the disc that is only readable for a certain amount of time, they still have to let you read it once so you can watch the thing and you can use that one read to rip it, and reopen the session on your xray disc, copy it there and watch at a later date.
    my point is that it will always be possible with existing and evolving technologies to make copies whether it is illegal or not. of course, blueray could choke on its own baby vomit.
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...3/b3786071.htm
    http://www.iec.ch/news_centre/release/nr2002/nr0302.htm
    http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=geforcefx
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

its illegal to lend your DVD's and CD's to people too!
    Are you being serious? I have never heard such a thing. We trade back and forth all the time.

How do movie rental places get away with it then? They are just buying mass quantites of the movie, and renting them out. They will then sell them for 1/3 to 1/2 of their original purchase price after the popularity of the movie has died down.

I'm really interested in that now. I'm off to do some research.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

they don't lend you the movie in the conventional sence, only a licence to view it for a limited time only! on second thought with the DVD's i have checked the ones i have lying around and they say, to my surprise, that it is licenced for private home viewing only and certain applicable laws apply. so perhaps it is not illegal to lend them. it comes down to what the licence for home viewing explicitly states. but on most of my audio CD it states around the rim of the disc: unauthorised copying, hiring, lending, public performance and broadcasting are prohibited.

edit:
    BUAAAH, just as i posted, i checked the back of my last DVD, "The Matrix", on the back read: Any unauthorised copying, editing, exhibition, renting, lending, public performance, diffusion and/or broadcasting of this DVD, or any part thereof, is strictly prohibited.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Guys,

Here's a short explanation of copyrights for products from an article of a magazine i have here called "SpyMag".

One of the rights in the bundle of rights acquired through property owenership is the right to do with it as you will, so long as what you want to do with it isn't contrary to public policy or in contravention of an existing law. Where media are concerned- books, games, music- if you actually *own* the physical carrier of the media (the book, the disk, the cartridge) you are legally allowed to make copies for your personal use. It is really important to be crystal clear on a couple of points: "own" does not mean "rent", and "personal use" means that the copies can only be used by you. Therefore, it is completely illegal to rent or borrow material and copy it, as those rights are only acquired through purchase, as it is also illegal to lend copies of things that you own to to other people. Granted, you don't "purchase" an NFL game on CBS or the latest episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but the only reason you are legally allowed to tape these programs is because Congress made it permissible by statute. However you wish to rationalize the copying of borrowed or rented material it's illegal...
    Bye.