Windows XP help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP help

Exclamation Windows XP help

To make a long story short, I loaded windows XP on my brothers computer that I recently built and the graphics card that I bought for it doesn't work with XP because of many reasons. So I went and traded it for 98. BUT I forgot to uninstall XP before I brought it back. Is there anyway to uninstall XP without the CD?

Thanks

You need only to format the partition that Win XP is on. The windows 98 setup should do that for you.

When I put the 98 CD in, it just pops up a little window that has options like: Explore this CD, and Take a tour. It doesn't autorun when I restart with the CD in either.

Originally posted here by FamStars&Straps
    When I put the 98 CD in, it just pops up a little window that has options like: Explore this CD, and Take a tour. It doesn't autorun when I restart with the CD in either.

You must setup your BIOS to boot from the CD drive before it boots from the Harddisk. The computer normally will tell you to hold down a certain key to enter setup, while it is booting up. The key is most often delete, or one of the F keys. Once you enter the BIOS setup you must change the boot order.

Atfer you have done that the computer will attempt to boot from the cd-rom before the harddrive. So then the setup will run from boot "start-up."

just a note, you can't boot from a windows 98 cd. not any that i've seen, anyway.

and, with winXP, if you did an upgrade install, in add/remove programs, you can find your windowsXP uninstall. i've yet to actually use it, as i'd be reverting to windows ME, and as far as i'm concerned, XP is the better of the two...
    i will shoot you so hard.

If you read the posting you would see that it wasn't an upgrade.

And I tried changing the boot order, but that didn't work either.

I've tried going into safemode and doing it that way.

But I can't seem to get into just MS-DOS. I can only get to it through XP. Anyone know a way to get to just MS-DOS?

FamStars&Straps,

Why don't you boot your PC from a floppy disk?, this way you can go to DOS, and format it and then install it from here.

Bye.

I didn't put a floppy in the tower because the one I had didn't work, so I just didn't put one in...I probably should huh...

You should plan on putting a floppy drive in that machine.

When you make a boot disk you will want to make sure that you have CD-Rom support as well.

You can get boot disk images here: http://www.svrops.com/svrops/dwnlddisk.htm

Use thw Win98 boot disk with CD rom support to create your floppy, boot with it and make sure that you can see the CD-Rom. If that doesn't work you might try here instead

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downr..._bootdisks.htm

or here: http://www.bootdisk.com/
    If you receive something that says \'Send this to everyone you know,\' pretend you don\'t know me.

Newer Win 98SE (the newest you can find), ARE bootable, as long as the BIOS is set to boot from CD-ROM. The problem is, Win98 is FAT32, and more than likely your XP install has been formatted in NTFS. Without a floppy drive and a boot floppy, you can only install 98 along side XP (the directory will be C:\Windows.000). You need a boot disk in order to FDISK your drive. A longer route would be to load Partition Magic, create a FAT32 partition, load Win 98 on that partition, then load P-Magic into Win98, format your NTFS partition, and merge it with your 98 partition, then you'd have one big happy Windows 98 installation. If you have 5 hours to spare and can't part with $10, try it.