Thread: network and ports

Question network and ports

Hi, I'm new to AO and just thought i would throw a question or two out there. I have a network with 3 computers, one with win2k, one with win98, and one that dual boots win2k and Linux. Currently it is set up as a peer to peer network. I access a router that assigns Ip addresses automatically, and it connects to a DSL modem. My question is for security what should i do, I have to set up all the security on individual machines now, would it be worth it to move to a client-serve model for added security and for ease of administration? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages for a home network? I would appreciate the advise.
    THanks ahead of time

atl2ptown,

Welcome to AO!!!

You sould use your "best" or "fast" machine as server for the rest of the PCs. Then, install a firewall to the server and (depending on which you install) set it to "protect" the entire LAN.

For secutiry, do not share your C: drive in each machine, just create individual "shared" folders to move archives through your network.

Besides, i would assign my own IPs for each machine instead of leaving the router assign them automatically, so you know each machine always has the same IP locally, for example (192.168.0.1..., 2... 3...), it will be more easy for you to work, ping, trace, etc. when you are having network problems, or for LAN games too!!!

Good luck!!!

THanks for the quick reply..I will look into that