Thread: open ports

open ports

Sorry about the last thread if you read it the title should be changed. The problem i have is one of the computers on my network has port 139 open, and i cant seem to close it. File sharing is not installed neither is NETbios, i have disable it over tcp/ip also. I too have zonealarm installed. Im running win2k if that makes a difference. I went to shieldsup to test the machine. Any help would be appreciated.

update !! i ran a port scanner on myself and only 135 is open, not both 135 and 139..just thought i would throw that out there.
    THanks

Open Ports

In a nutshell, the mere fact that port 135 is open doesn't mean that Netbios is open on your machine. I found some information for you http://www.iss.net/security_center/advice/Exploits/Ports/groups/Microsoft/default.htm ]here[/URL] . I wandered the same thing, so I had to do some research. There's some good information at the link. I hope that you find it useful.

Take care,

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

THanks for the reply, I seemed to get the same impression from the site, that it is used for other services not necessarily meaning that NETbios is open, which is a good thing.

THanks

Yeah, it looks like it functions as a sort of port mapper for things like DHCP, WINS, and others so that the services can be found and contacted on the machine.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile