Heelllpp!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heelllpp!

Heelllpp!

Ok i got one BIG problem! First of all i have XP home edition. I start my computer and i put my password in adn then it "loads." BUT! It only loads to the desktop!! It won't load anything else. I can bring up the task manager and do anything from there but i don't want to do that all the time. I tried many of time to reboot and hope the problem would go away but it doesn't. The only way i can get it back to normal it turn the guest account on then log on under the guest then switch user to my log on name. Then while i'm in my name i log off the guest user. From there i can restart my computer and log on to my name. But i don't want the guest log on! If i turn the guest log off then it goes right back to not being able to get past the deskstop! This is soo frustrating! If any body knows anything i would apreciate it much! Thanks
    Cory

Can you get into safe mode with your user id? Press F8 multiple times at boot and you should get options to start. Try safe mode...

-Or-

Have you recently loaded any new software/drivers or made any significant configuration changes?

If so, and XP doesn't like what you've done, you can try a "roll back"
    I'm not positive that the home version of XP has this feature, but I know Pro does.

It simply restores to a "known good point" where you knew everything was working fine.

Depending on the size you allocated for "roll back" and how big your hard drive is to start, you should have several "known good points".

Click on Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> system restore.

NOTE: Choose a recent date. If you don't, any program/change you have made since that point will be lost. Your data will still be there, just the configurtaion or program install may not be.

When you do this, it will record how your current status is. You can always undo the system restore.

I would try this only if you know you have made significant changes to your configuration or have loaded any new software/drivers that may be incompatable with XP.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

hum, to be honest, I don't view what could be the exact source of your problem (if we except Microsoft and XP home edition obviously). It doesn't seem to be in your users rights. Maybe in some options related to your account start up that you could have turned on/off (services).
    If you have already tried to verify services and system configurations without any success, I advice you to make a backup and to reinstall Windows.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

If you have already tried to verify services and system configurations without any success, I advice you to make a backup and to reinstall Windows
    With all respect to KissCool, I wouldn't jump to reinstall just yet. I would try to restore to a previous configuration that M$ has already done for you using my instructions above.

Or, a further detailed set of instructions for XP system restore can be found here.

Though backing up your system is a given.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Well safe mode doesn't work. And system restoration doesn't work either! No i haven't download anything or installed anything recently. i was on the computer last night and it was working just fine. Well. I did do one thing. there was a post last night that said a gift for antionline members. it was a picture. a blue background with antionline in the center. i but it as my background. that is the only thing i can think of. i doubt that has anything to do with it.
    Cory

I doubt that setting your wallpaper did that either...

Did you check your services, like KissCool advised? Do you get errors in your event logs?

none when i log in in my name but when i logged in under the guest it did but i can't remember what it was.
    Cory

Nyroca,

It was my AO wallpaper the one you has as your background now, don't be afraid, it just a JPG image.

By the way, which video card are you using?, have you tried installing its last drivers? Sometimes, when display gets wrong, it could be because of a driver issue... and it doesn't matter if a few days ago (or yesterday) your PC was OK, computers get crazy from one day to another.

Bye.

Edit: Check for virus too!!!

Yes it was your wall paper but i don't think that is the problem. :P but i only know sooo much about computers and i dont' understand how my viedo card has anything to do with it. i mean it works fine when the guest account is in abled! i hate windows
    Cory

What about your event log? There are two sections that you should look at here.

Both your application and system logs. While you're at it, you might as well take a look at security, just in case it is user rights, but I doubt that is it.

If there are errors in there, you may want to look them up. M$ technet is a good place to look them up or google will usually do the trick.

You are probably going to be looking at a system error because you said that you haven't installed anything recently.