Elephant Torture
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elephant Torture

Elephant Torture

Elephant Torture

I know with war at hand and plague and starvation happening around the world this issue may seem trivial but it really pisses me off.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2002Dec23.html

NGKOK, Thailand (Reuters) - Bound and dragged from his mother into a crude wooden enclosure, 3-year-old Plai Boonsom screams as he is beaten on head and body with metal hooks.

The ritual, carried out daily for up to a week, is part of a young Thai elephant's training by villagers for a working life entertaining tourists in Thailand and has been secretly videotaped by animal rights activists.

"Our footage shows elephants covered with wounds, blood, bruises...and back of the legs covered with diarrhea as a result of the fear and stress," said Jason Baker, Asia representative for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).

PETA used the video to launch a global campaign this month urging tourists to boycott Thailand, hoping to hit the country where it hurts and force the government to ban the tethering of elephants and their use in tourist shows.

But PETA's findings have been challenged by conservationists and the Thai government, which says the group is promoting a one-sided campaign about the treatment of elephants, Thailand's national symbol.

Conservationists and the government say there are few alternatives to domestication or living in captivity for the country's estimated 4,000 elephants.

In a word, space is the issue.

The elephants' natural habitat is disappearing fast, eaten away by rapid urbanization, greater demands for resources and a growing human population.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

I don't think the issue at hand was 'domestication' but rather humane treatment. How can the fact that their running out of space justify the torture of these benevolent creatures. elephants are extreamly bright and these methods are not necessary....what a way to treat your national symbol.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

You know, stuff like this makes me sick. The would-be domesticators should be lined up and domesticated themselves. I remember reading somewhere about how intelligent these animals are. I'm sure this treatment is not necessary.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

I feel sorry for the elephants and have never really agreed with holding them in captivity. But I must comment on PETA (oh boy here it comes) on this.

I really hate to say this but people don't visit Thailand for the elephant shows. They visit it for the more *ahem* adult shows if you get my drift. I know that PETA is trying, and I do respect it when it's above board, but I really don't think calling for a boycott because of the elephant treatment is going to keep people from going to that country.

I hope something happens from this to benefit the elephants though.

El Diablo

here's a course of action:

mailto: thai-la@mindspring.com

After reading in the Washington Post, how your nation trains Elephants for the amusement of tourists, I shall not visit your country or purchase any products from your land as long as this treatment is allowed. I shall also recomend to everyone I know that they also boycot your land and any products originating from it.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

That is what i like to call bulls***. I love elephants, because we have studied and learned so much about them, especially the African elephants. I feel sorry for these elephants, i would also join this boycott, i do not have enough money to go over there, but i can guarantee you that i am not buying their products. I may not make a difference, but with this kind of things going on, this kind of torture to these species, i have to do what is right. Would love it if you can join this boycott tedob1 ( if you didn't already start). This really pisses me off, that is not a way to treat your nations symbol, people please think about this. Will we ever torture the Eagle, thats our countries symbol. We will never torture any animal, we save them, and that is why i am going to join this boycott. I really think this is f**cked up, please excuse my language, but i am not dealing with this all that well. -Ebo

Banned
    I support PETA in almost everything that they stand for, and this is one of their stronger points that I am fighting the hardest to try and help out.

While Thailand is its own country and they can run their country however they see fit, a way to hurt them is by boycotting things that are made in their country, which is something I have done to the fullest extent that I can manage. I urge you all to email thai-la@mindspring.com and tell them of your boycott, just as Tedob has suggested, and see if we can make a difference.

I went to thailand last year and actually I saw this elephant been tortured...
    And I feel sorry for this elephant...Very sad indeed

When I was travelling last year I found so many scary thing about how "they" treat animal, in Hongkong ..someone asked me if I wanna try "Live monkey brain" as meal...and that's true no S**t.. and that day I can't eat anything.. I remember "innocent monkey" running around in cage ready to cook as meal

BTW If you don't believe me about "eating Live monkey brain" you can read this link http://origin.dailynews.lk/2002/01/19/fea10.html

edit :sorry tedob if off the topic from elephant torture...(about my monkey horror true story)

Basicly "they" shouldn't torture animal to attract tourist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

they shouldn't torture animals period. if i ever saw someone break open a monkeys skull and put a spoon to its brains while its sitting their concious, unable to move...I'd loose it compleatly. These people are far worse than animals themselves, i don't care how much of a right they have to their own "culture"...well enough of that.

if they wern't so far away the actions of alf would be more appropriate, but a boycott will do, i guess.

I first killed an animal when I was 12 years old.
    What I killed, I ate.
    The thought of eating live monkey brain is abhorrent to me.
    Same goes for the torture of an elephant.

Torturing animals for any reason is horrible. Bucket, I too have killed animals but we ate what we killed. There is no difference from torturing an animal to a human. I can't stand to see anything suffer for any length of time. I'll join in the boycott also.