Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what out there is better then FAT32?

Question what out there is better then FAT32?

IM running a 16 gig maxtor fat32 hard drive, im planning on getting a better hard drive but i would like to no if there is anything better then fat32 and whare would i get it? if the following info will help you tell me what i should then by all means tell me.
    win 98se
    16 gig fat32 maktor hdd
    500mhz p3
    320 mgs ram
    233 mhz front end bus socket 370 motherboard
    if there is anything else u need to help me then please tell me
    thank you all for ur help

the-twinge

If you are talking about formatting your hard disk, then NTFS is better just because you have more security options. But i really didn't understand your question.

Bye.

Banned
    Basically what Dark Raider said...

NTFS is great, but you could run into complications for certain apps and games...

It's great to use since you can set ownerships on files similar to Linux....

The file system is not something that is permanent on a hard disk drive. You might create a FAT32 partition on your drive, but you don't buy hard drives that are specifically FAT32 (afaik). As -DaRK-RaiDeR- said, NTFS is a better file system than FAT32 primarily because of the extra security it provides over FAT32 (setting permissions for different users etc). It also has some other advantages over FAT32. However, if you're using Win98SE, you have to use FAT32 anyway.

Here are some links which explain FAT32 and NTFS in greater detail:

NTFS Versus Fat32
    Overview of FAT & NTFS File Systems
    Limitations of the FAT32 in Windows XP

If you plan to continue using Win98, you really have no choice because it supports nothing except FAT32 and FAT16. NTFS is an option only if you plan on migrating to Windows 2000 or XP.

So no, there is nothing better.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

i am planning on up grading this pc to 2000 and maby turning it into a dual boot win 2000/red hat linux so thank you for ur input all

Heres my ranking of file systems

1. ext3 <--Linux
    2. ntfs <--windows nt/2000/xp
    3. ext2 <--Linux
    4. fat32 <--windows 98/95
    5. fat16 <--windows 3.1
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

the-twinge,

OK, good choice (i mean for choosing to install Linux, although i'd recommend Mandrake 9.0). Then, the day you install them don't use fdisk for example to make your formats and partitions, just let the Linux tools do the work for you (again, i mean that Linux has its own format and partitions tools during its installation), because they are much better and easy to use than old fdisk. You could use some other tools like Partition Magic too.

Good luck!!!

Originally posted here by tyger_claw

NTFS is great, but you could run into complications for certain apps and games...
    Not so.

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Partition Magic vs. Mandrake Installer

Originally posted here by -DaRK-RaiDeR-
    ...Linux has its own format and partitions tools during its installation...You could use some other tools like Partition Magic too.

Good luck!!!
    Interestingly enough, my copy of Partition Magic could not fix a few of the problems with an old hard drive of mine, but the Mandrake Linux 9.0 installer handled it without a hitch. However, a newer version of Partition Magic might have been able to fix it. I have 6.
    Binary005