Broadband provider to block P2P?

Thread: Broadband provider to block P2P?

Broadband provider to block P2P?

Optimum Online Says Don't Upload Files...Or Else.

By Richard Menta 12/21/02

I find it interesting that one of the biggest benefactors of file trading on the Net want to now ban it from their networks. I'm talking about the broadband providers; the folks who tried to sell us their services based on the ability to access web pages two seconds faster, but switched tactics when that reason wasn't compelling enough for people. The compelling reason they eventually turned to in their ads and promotions was the accessibility of music on the Net.
    Read the rest here .

This is just my opinion...

To do this, wouldn't that be considered a form of censorship?
    Who are they to tell people that because some people use these services, that everyone else has to suffer? Doesnt that in fact work against freedom of speech?

There are many of documents on these networks not to mention non pirated music that artists put out there to spread their name.

I have put a buddy of mine in my shared folder (pretty much the only thing in there) and have gotten a lot of downloads from it. It is a good way to spread his name, because MTV and the radio won't play his music becasue he isn't signed. Of course, he gave me permission to do this.

I think they'll have some lawsuits against them...
    He has a good point about the advertising that they did about the ability to download music faster... Sounds a lot like bait and switch to me.

What are your opinions?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

To do this, wouldn't that be considered a form of censorship? ... Doesnt that in fact work against freedom of speech?
    Sure it is. But you have to remember that in the US, you have no right to free speech or expression from anybody but the government. Private ISPs (or any other private entity) are perfectly free to restrict anything they choose. You are under no obligation to use their bandwidth if you disapprove of their policies - vote with your feet, so to speak.

The golden rule is that the one with the gold makes the rules.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

when we loose all our privilages on the internet, we'll have nobody to blame but ourselves for supporting companys like kazaa. these companys have made it extreamly easy for every mom, pop, little brother and sister to download pirated music and software. if it was just the techies, puting files on ftp servers, and i don't mean warez sites, or uuencoding stuff for their freinds, their wouldn't be a problem, but if things are allowed to continue on the way they're going, we won't be able to do squat. they've been making money at our expense. They'll walk away rich and we'll have nothing. They know they can't get away with it forever so they pay themselves hugh saleries, let the recording folks dismantle their company in the end and laugh all the way to the bank.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
    He has a good point about the advertising that they did about the ability to download music faster... Sounds a lot like bait and switch to me.
    +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

they'll say they meant legal music and nothing else was implied, like streaming audio and midi files not riped CDs.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”