View Poll Results: Which OS Is your choice?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows 95/98

1 10.00%
  • Windows NT

0 0%
  • Windows ME

0 0%
  • Windows 2000

1 10.00%
  • Windows 2002/XP

4 40.00%
  • Other Windows

0 0%
  • Linux Red Hat

0 0%
  • Linux Madrake

2 20.00%
  • Other Linux

1 10.00%
  • DOS

1 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSL Tweaks ?

Question DSL Tweaks ?

I don't know what was to happen, after all I am a newbie. But I use to get 1.5Mbps and now I get 820.0kbps. What's with the slow down? I used the Dr.TCP (I think thats the name) from dslreports.com . The websites load much faster, but some losing 700kbps isn't good. Can anyone please help?

I did registry edits by the way.

driver

Hi Azn_Acid02,

I used to have the same problem until I found driver upgrade for my ADSL modem.Also
    run

Ad-aware

Ad-aware is a free multi spyware removal utility that scans your memory, registry and hard drives for known spyware and scumware components and lets you remove them safely

Made my system run fast after I removed all the spy crap...

Good luck

Dr_Evil

if you want to see why your loosing bandwidth set your scanner to ckeck for port 1214 with an ip range 0 - 255 in the last octet of your ip ddress ( e.g. 63.110.62. 0 - 255 ). This will show you most of the users in this range that are currently using kazaa. Of course now some use port 80 and this dosn't take into account others like bearshare and the rest. now multiply this by the average number of files a user downloads at one time. I think you can figure out for yourself where the bandwidth your paying for has gone.

Im not against file sharing just against greed and inconsideration
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Dr_Evil, thanks for replying, but it didn't solve my problem for some reason. I think there is another way of solving it, but that is why I come here, to ask questions.

Tedob1, if you may, can you please reitterate what you meant to say? I don't understand it.

I have ADSL also, and my bandwidth fluctuates frequently. Sometimes, I can't play games online because of the choppiness that's caused by the decrease. I have found that many times, I am able to recover some by cycling the power on the DSL modem. However, Tedob1 is absolutely correct about others hogging bandwidth. Others in your range effect your bandwidth by their actions. For example, if a few people are downloading large files -maybe a movie or something - in my IP range, then I will probably notice some lag that may not have been there before. I have not yet checked for software for my modem, but I will be doing that anyway, as it is definitely good to keep it current. I also read somewhere (don't remember the link) about people hacking their cable/dsl modems to allow for more bandwidth. I don't know anyone that has done it, but there is information out there about it. The person that "discovered" it sent the information to the vendor, and it was posted on a site somewhere. I'm not sure whether you can do much about your bandwidth issue, but I am also sure that there are others here with more experience with it. I've only had my connection for about 9 months now. I wish you the best.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Azn_Acid02,

In many, many cases the fluctuation in the bandwith is the ISP fault, believe me. My brother works in the best ISP in Uruguay (ANTEL-Adinet) and they are always proving, testing, correcting bandwith to solve customers problems. The servers boxes go down frecuently and so the bandwith goes down too. No one cares if customers are losing some mbps while they waste some days rapairing the problems. If you got your bandwith at a low rate turn off your ADSL modem for 1 or 2 minutes. This could, in may cases, recover the bandwith. This happens when the emplyees of the ISP are working and forcibly have to use some of the bandwith to repair the servers boxes, but then, when the problem is fixed, your modem doesn't get the right bandwith rate until you reconnect, and i don't mean disconnecting form Internet and connecting again instantly, i mean disconnecting from Internet, turning off your modem, waiting 1 or 2 minutes, turning on your modem and then connecting to Internet again.

And about other bothering in your IP range, it could really happen but only if you are a common ADSL user because although all ADSL users are connected to a DSLAM (apparatus that holds every customer ADSL card) that at the same time is connected to the BRAS (Broadband Remote Access Server) the user that make a contract with the ISP of a "high-rate bandwith", the same ISP BRAS connects him-she to a different and powerfull system that works separately avoiding collisions with common users that have low-rate bandwiths.
    There are some other "tricks" that ISPs do lowering bandwiths but i think i shouldn't tell them for my safety!!!

Well hope it has been of good knowledge, good luck!!!

Bye.

Re: DSL Tweaks ?

Originally posted here by Azn_Acid02
    I don't know what was to happen, after all I am a newbie. But I use to get 1.5Mbps and now I get 820.0kbps. What's with the slow down? I used the Dr.TCP (I think thats the name) from dslreports.com . The websites load much faster, but some losing 700kbps isn't good. Can anyone please help?

I did registry edits by the way.
    Hi AznAcid 02, I tried to find this site for you Here which explains your problem. It also has tips on tuning your cable/dsl modem, increasing speed, fixing problems and more. So just look around.
    And here's a quote taken from the site itself:

How to check your connection speed
    Speed test sites on the Internet (e.g., BCTEL MultiMedia Gateway) do not provide a reliable measurement of your local link speed. The reason is that no speed test from an arbitrary remote server will tell you much about anything other than that particular route at that particular time under that particular server load, all things that can and do vary widely. (Worse, some speed test sites are so badly implemented that the results are pretty much meaningless.)

To accurately measure the speed of your local link, download a large file (at least one million bytes) from a local server under light load (e.g., Internet software from your ISP in the wee hours) and time how long it takes. When all the various overheads are taken into account, with optimum configuration of your computer (see "Increasing TCP Receive Window") your binary FTP download speed in bytes per second will be about 1/10 of the raw link speed in bits per second (e.g., about 150 KBytes/sec over 1500 Kbits/sec link; about 38 KBytes/sec over 384 Kbits/sec link).
    And...

How to find out what's slowing you down
    You've increased your TCP Receive Window, but what if you're still not getting the speed you expect? (1500 Kbits/sec ADSL service is capable of downloading at a bit more than 150 KBytes/sec.) It could just be a matter of a remote server with limited capacity. But it could also be a network under-capacity problem at your ISP (the result of overselling the available capacity to too many subscribers, an all too common problem). No matter what you may have heard or read, "the Internet" is not overloaded.

The usual symptoms of network under-capacity are high latency (the time it takes a packet to cross the network path from one end to the other) and packet loss (where transmitted data is literally lost because of insufficient network capacity). High latency has an adverse effect on interactive use; e.g., real-time gaming over the Internet. Packet loss has an adverse effect on just about everything.

The best way to pinpoint the source of a network problem is to use a standard TCP/IP network tool called 'traceroute', which measures both latency and packet loss at every network "hop" between you and your destination (remote server). Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP comes with a free version of traceroute called "tracert". It does a pretty good job, but the output can be hard to understand if you're not into networking. (See Microsoft's Q162326 "Using TRACERT to Troubleshoot TCP/IP Problems in Windows NT" [which also applies to Windows 95/98/Me])
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.-Reaper Man

I know I'm piggybacking another thread, but I have a bandwidth question that I don't think deserves its own thread...

Cable companies are now offering Video-On-Demand services, where you can start/stop/pause movies you're watching, etc. It this new "feature" going to cause decreased bandwidth for cable modem users?
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

DSL slowdown

Hi Azn_Acid02 ,

DSL slowdown could be due to many reasons.This website might be able to help solve your problem :

DSL speed test and tweaks guide

Red face ADSL Slowdown

Weather you use ADSL or Cable you will always have a bottleneck
    It can be between the DSlam and your ISP or the ISP and the Net
    or may not even be the ISP's fault, it may be a bottleneck down the
    line....
    Cable slowdown is usually caused by too many cable modems
    on the same node or rf channel but they can also be effected by
    lack of bandwith to the NET from the cable plant.
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle