Thread: samba and Xp pro, does it work?

samba and Xp pro, does it work?

hi guys (and gals),
    ive run into a problem with XP pro and samba on redhat 8, i previously had win 2k on my new computer but updated to XP pro and now i cant access the samba share from the XP pro box
    all the settings are all the same as for win2k pro but the only difference is that i dont log into windows as administrtor anymore as i have my own account

the error message i get is something around the lines of is
    'phrosty-boi (redhat 8 box's name), this computer cannot be accessed, this user not allowed to log in from this location'

this worked perfectly with windows 2000 but this has got me at a dead loss, im pretty sure its related to samba as i can ping from either box and everything works ok but samba just refuses to work, also i want to be able to see the XP box from the redhat box like a samba share but around the other way

and the last problem is that i cant get any form of ICS working and am unsure of how it can be done if it is possible, can linux access the net thru an XP pro box??

any help would be great

Did you add the user name you are trying to login with on the XPbox to the Red Hat box?

Another thing I had to do, was create a machine access list on the *nix box for the XP box... (if that made any sense)

I didn't have to do with with any other OS except for XP Pro. (Don't know about home)

# adduser -g machines \ # group
    -c NTMachine \ # gecos
    -d /dev/null \ # home dir
    -s /bin/false \ # shell
    -n 'hostname$' # trust account name

where hostname is replaced by the name of each Windows client system. In this example, the Unix group machines is assumed to have been created. The group nobody could also be used instead.

I hope that resolves your issue. I have had little problem getting Samba and XP to work together. But... I am using RH7.3 still. I haven't yet upgraded to 8. I don't know if the Samba versions are different.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

nope, that hasnt solved the problem, i even looked at the documentation and made sure that i had both my administrator account and my own user account in the samba password file and and also the computers password file, did this but it was to no avail

ive attached a picture with the exact error message that i am getting from windows XP, the silly thing is that samba worked very nicely with windows 2000 and as far as i know win2k and XP are both similar in the way they work with passwords and stuff

i feel that ive tried everything that should make it work and i dont really want to be stuck with a linux system that cant or refuses to be networked, the only workaround is my usb zip drive but i bought a cable specifically for this purpose so i dont want to see it going to waste on me

if all else fails on this, is there some other file sharing thing i can use other than samba? or is this all that is available to accomplish this? i just dont want to see my linux box end up as a paperweight due to a problem that is so irritating

Couple of ?'s for you.
    What about your hosts allowed list? Where you specify the ip addresses of which boxes are allowed to connect? Did you allow the whole network, or just certain ips?
    Have you sucessfully connected to this server with other pcs?

Taken from here.
    Security and Samba

Restricting Client Access

If you run your samba server on a machine that has a valid IP address to the Internet, or an an untrusted LAN, you'll probably want to limit who can connect to your Samba shares. Assuming your server runs on 192.168.0.1, your netmask is 255.255.255.0 and you wish to deny access to a host in your network on 192.168.0.8, your smb.conf file should look like:

hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1 EXCEPT 192.168.0.8
    hosts deny = ALL

It's also useful to limit the interfaces on which Samba will run, if you have a multihomed (more than one IP address) server. A common mistake is to set the interfaces line to the specific IP address of the box, when it is actually the IP subnet that your interface is on that you want to use. Assuming your server runs on 192.168.0.1 and your netmask is 255.255.255.0, your smb.conf file should look like:

interfaces = 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1
    bind interfaces only = Yes
    I know I didn't set that up correctly at first and it caused me problems.

Of course, after making any changes to samba you have to restart it...

cd /etc/init.d

./smb restart

Make sure it started correctly.

./smb status
    should show you both smbd & nmbd are running...

You can use some docs from here to help you. This is how I did it, except for, its not a PDC...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.