Thread: SuSE why won't my printer work?

Unhappy SuSE why won't my printer work?

Mary Christmas,

In my last thread 'Is Mandrake Linux 9 good for a newbi?', I was trying to find a good OS for me. I decided to go with SuSE Pro. I loaded it on my 2sd HD and it works pretty good, but I can't get the printer to work. I have a 'hpdesktop 656c'. The OS says it will work, but after loading it, it will not test. It fails. The printer does work in my Windows 98. I sent an e-mail to support@suse.com, but have not gotten a reply as of yet. I kind of like to get it up and running and start having some fun. Any of you SuSE users out there got any ideas? Thanks for any help.
    cybnut

Hi,
    When you first time install SuSE Linux..is the printer connected to your computer or not?? cause during installation YAST will ask you "if you want configure your printer".The easy way to find out your printer working or not is you need to connect that printer during installation..so SuSE can recognised your printer(this is how I installed SuSE 8.1 pro and SuSE recognised my printer).

Or have you check your manual book SuSE 8.1 pro for printer Operation (chapter 8)?

BTW you shouldn't posted this thread in product/Book Reviews/ forum..
    Not an image or image does not exist!

sweet_angel,

Yes I did all that. Even when I started suse, it asked if I wanted to load the printer. It even IDed the printer. And, being new, were should I have posted this thread? Thanks.
    cybnut

Hi fred,

You need to to upgrading your driver
    Most HP Deskjet printers, with the exception of host-based printers,
    will function in the Linux environment using drivers supplied by Linux.

HP has released a Linux driver in spring 2001. This driver will
    provides basic printer functionality for over 30 Deskjet printers. The
    new driver supports the following Deskjet printers:

Deskjet 610C, 610CL, 612C, 630C, 632C, 640C, 648C, 656C, 810C, 812C,
    815C, 816C, 825C, 830C, 832C, 840C, 841C, 842C, 843C, 845C, 880C, 882C,
    890C, 895C, 916C, 920C, 930C, 932C, 933C, 934C, 935C, 940C, 948C, 950C,
    952C, 955C, 957C, 959C, 960C, 970C, 975C, 980C, 990C, 995C, 3820, 5550,

For More information visit the HP Web site given below:

http://www.linux.hp.com/printers_and_linux.html
    or check out this link http://www.linuxprinting.org/piperma...q4/001930.html

And, being new, were should I have posted this thread? Thanks.
    mmmmm I think you should posted this one in general forum..but that's ok..you will learn fast from this site..

Smile

Sweet Angel,
    Thank you for responding so fast. You really are sweet. Mary Christmas. The site you shared with me gave me the commands for Ghostscript. I'm going to put it in now. The next thing I need to do is get my Compucserve internet server running. I havn't looked yet, but if you have any ideas, please let me know. Again thanks.
    cybnut

sweet_angel,
    Hi. I am having a hard time finding the Ghostscript Commands. It's because I'm a newbi, I know, I know. The hp web site has this script and I think I need to put it into the ghostscript before my printer will work. How do I get into it? I've been loking at this screen so long, I think my eyes are going to fall out. I know I need another cup of coffee. Please help if you can. Thanks
    cybnut

to everyone,
    I reposted this thread in General Chit Chat.
    cybnut