Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cisco Networking... dummie style...

Cisco Networking... dummie style...

This past semester in school, I took the first two Cisco semesters.

I was very unhappy with the book that they gave us. It was very dry and boring. I was falling asleep while I was studying.
    Unfortunately, I had to read it either way. That is the only way to pass Cisco tests. Read and memorize Cisco’s material, and you pass the tests.

The book that they had us go though was
    Cisco Networking Academy Program: First-Year Companion Guide
    Seeing that this book was "The Only Authorized Textbook for the Cisco Networking Academy Program" I didn't really have a choice in the matter.

That is all good... but I decided to pick up a different book while I was at it.

I chose to go with the Cisco Networking For Dummies .
    This was my first experience with the Dummies series and I think I'll be picking up more of these dummies books.

They covered all of the material that my Cisco book did, but in less time and in terms I could understand easier. The author even had a sense of humor.
    I hate reading very dry material. I mean, if you have to learn something, you might as well enjoy it while you are reading it... right?

We had several foreigners who didn't quite grasp all the terms and language that Cisco was throwing at them. I suggested this to a couple of my classmates and they all liked it too.

For anybody planning on taking the Cisco Academy Program or if you just want a better understanding of Networking and the OSI...
    I definitely recommend this dummies book. It even covered more than what was required in the first two semesters.
    I know they don't make one for the next two semesters, but at least I have a leg up on them.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I also just finished second semester and I have to say it’s not the greatest book to learn from. I find there are two different types of books when it comes to computers; reference books and learning books. Dummies books or teach your self c++ in 12 easy lessons are good examples of learning books they ease you into the subject. Then there’s reference books witch are more intended for people who already know the basics but might want have the odd question that needs answering. I feel the cisco book falls in the latter category it’s packed with way more stuff then you need to pass the first two semesters and most of its theory. I’ve found cisco’s online material to be excellent. Much more condensed then the book; it touches on the key points and leaves out most of the unnecessary stuff. If nothing else it will look good on a book shelf.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

If nothing else it will look good on a book shelf.
    cwk9:
    How true... I'm not planning on picking it up again. I alread read it from front to back.

I agree that the online course was better presentation wise. They had some cool little flash applets on there that helped too.

Are you just taking the accademy, or are you going for a networking degree?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I'm taking Cisco as part of a networking degree witch is nice because then you have an instructor and don't have to rely on the book as much. While were on the topic of Cisco don't forget about the practice test. An invaluable tool for finding the chapters you weak in.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

I have found the Boson tests are pretty good, but nothing substitutes for real hands on experience. Unfortunately Cisco is sometimes like Microsoft and the tests want it the Cisco way, which is not always the best way.
    Mantarey
    Question Everything!!!

I've tried the Dummies series and personally, as an opinion, I didn't quite like them. They were a bit to short and brief like Phispreek said, and I just don't like that. I guess different people like different things. The Dummies series also tends to cut some expert information, where at times, is very nice to know. So for me, the Dummies series isn't cut'n it, but if you're looking for a quick/brief way to learn things, such as CISCO NETWORKING, go for this book. It's perfect for you!
    [pong][blur]Victory to Success[/blur][/pong]is only half won through the[pong][blur]Habit of Hard Work...[/blur][/pong]
    -Jagfire19

Also have a look at www.routersim.com

Antionline Herpetologist
    I learnt DOS and C from those Dummies books and I have to say, I'm a fan! They're great as learning books. However, they aren't the be all and end all of tech books as some people tend to think. After I'm through with the Dummies book, I usually go for one of Wrox's books for the advanced stuff.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

cgkanchi:

Thats what I do too. I use them with other texts. They just have a way of saying things in non-geek speak. Sometimes it is easier to read it in both geek and then in english. It will stick longer.

At least thats the way it is for me.

phishphreek80, thanks for the suggestion I think that I will take a look at Cisco Networking For Dummies because I am the type of person that likes to learn things first from a basic point of view. Once a grasp the basics the rest is a piece of cake, it is just that first hump that is always difficult to get over.

I hope that I am not changing the subject to much but since we are on the subject of books I was just wondering what other books anyone has to recommend. For the first time in the last year I have a few bucks to spend on books and I have been trying to pickout books where I would be able to learn the most and find to be the most interesting. I am interested in everything from networking to Web development to programming in any and all languages. Anybody have any suggestions?
    \"Hardware: the parts of a computer that can be kicked.\"
    -Jeff Pesis