Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a small but important find...

Syini666: Wow, you really are getting parinoid. LOL. That method with the thermite wouldn't work for me... as I tend to drink quite a bit on the weekends.

I can see it now...

This just in!

Overly parinoid man blows up house and both neighbors house while attempting to keep his data private...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

what i think is that if somebody realy wants to get access to your system nothing can stop him with enough time he can break all those locks and crack all your passwords,the only way one can save his A$$ is encryption but just think how much time it takes to encrypt all the thingz you have on your system, god! i don't want to think about the reverse process there are times i have this feeling that security is just a game and i am only a loosza!
    just imagine cops ringing you door bell what is the first thing you do?

just imagine cops ringing you door bell what is the first thing you do?
    I'd just answer it...
    if they want your computer... they aren't going to be knocking...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

phishphreek80 > Actually I'm not totally unfounded in my paranoia, for a while I was under DEA surveilence, but thankfully that is in the past now. I've actually had people from the Navy, as well as the NSA visit a site I run devoted to making spud guns, so its not entirely in my head, or at least i think so.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    ermmm....how about just setting the bios pass for the bios setup itself.....there are normally 2 passwords in bios, one for the bios setup itself, and one to just boot the machine....you can also ONLY specify a bios setup password, and no password to boot the machine.
    Ofcourse a bios password can be bypassed, and encryption is always a good idea if you have sensitive information. Good luck and merry xmas
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Originally posted here by phishphreek80

I'd just answer it...
    if they want your computer... they aren't going to be knocking...
    Being of the law enforcement area I can vouch for that. Same thing with drugs. You dont knock on the door....
    well, then again, a certain officer I know WILL knock on the door....

*BAMBAMBAM* "Police! Can I talk to you?"
    *panicked scrambling about...pause....FLUSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH*

and then the officer walks away.
    *grin*
    Gets the drugs off the streets... lol
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Banned
    In a case like that, no knock warrants are used.

Talking about the whole flushing thing, want to get people good?
    Drive a K9 cruiser over to a local university or college residence/dorm area. Water bills seem to peak at times like that

Best physical security for a computer is to not have one

But seriously speaking, buy a laptop instead of a desktop and put a caselock on it to prevent access. Just my .02$ (if someone's that paranoid)

Any physical locks (padlocks, caselocks) are trivial. Anything with a combination actually. I mean I was bored at school one day and cracked my friends padlock combinaion in 30 min. It wasn't a masterlock but if you have enough time it is possible. Key locks are worse a paperclip will get them. If you want to be secure use removeable drives with encryption take them with you.

i agree with strong bios passwords but this can only be usefull for home users.when you use a computer at work you can't set a bios password.only the system administrator can do that.