Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Language?

Which Language?

I am just starting out in learning about security. I have been working a little bit with linux but I would like to learn a programming language also. I know python and perl are good starters but which is better? Or is ther another language that would be better for me to learn?I already know a pretty good bit of HTML. I know this type of question is asked alot, I am truly sorry but I would greatly apreciate an opinion on this. I am willing to try anything. Thank you for your time and help. It will be greatly apreciated.

welcome

Welcome noregine,

As a newbie, we are always eager to ask questions and there are many similar questions as yours answered before.You can search AO site and will find what you are looking for :

I have found few links for you but there are many more

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Good Luck and hope you find what you are looking for.............

Dr_Evil

As a newbie I know your eager, perl and python are good starters. I suggest C because this is the language that the OS is written in . Try it

C++

I've never messed around with Python. . .Imma perl monger myself, but from what I've read about Python, it is supposed to fully implement Object Oriented Design, which is a very good thing, makes code reuse much simpler. . .you can do the same with perl, perl just wasn't originally intended as an OO language. . .like jorge and pahza said, C/C++ would be excellent places to start with, but they are more difficult to grasp at first. . .perl is a bit more forgiving and not so strict, and though I don't really know, I would assume that Python might be as well.

--Edit, since I got negged I'd like to elaborate, don't know why I got negged for an opinion. . .
    . . .I think Perl is one of the easier ways to go because you can get the control statements and structure of programming down. . .the loops and statements are very similar to C++, aside from the switch statement. It's a bit easier than C/C++ because it isn't as ridgid with with variable declaration and still encompasses concepts like scope, and private and global variables. . .I started with C++ and was a bit confused at first, it did make learning other languages much easier once I got the hang of it, but after going through some Perl books, I'd wished my school had started with Perl. . .
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Hey noregine,

I understand you are new here so I'm going to give you a break(lucky i'm a nice guy ), but before you post check out the many tutorials that they have on the internet. Here are some links that I found that can be found around the internet, but more importantly are right before you eyes! hehe. Check these out and hope I could be of some help to you:

Here are some frequently asked questions on AO.

Here is the ultimate FAQ and Q&A:

Both of these links have answers to you questions and then some...Enjoy the holiday!!!
    [pong][blur]Victory to Success[/blur][/pong]is only half won through the[pong][blur]Habit of Hard Work...[/blur][/pong]
    -Jagfire19

Although this question has been asked, I'll give my input. I first started learning QBasic (first programming language, html doesn't count in my playbook) so that I would better understand VisualBasic. I then started learning Java so I can better understand C. My main goals (at the time) was to know C and VisualBasic. Since then, I've learned PHP and Perl (two of my favorites). C is of course my favorite, but it all depends what your coding. Try learning a variety of languages or do some research on them to see which you'll like and/or will suit your needs or purposes.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Several different languages, several different uses.
    As Spyder32 said, the Basic is a good start to understand the....programming basics (he he, not a pun). I advise you to quickly begin to learn the C after this first contact, cause it's a powerful and universal language with which you'll be able to easily understand many other languages.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

I'd start with Python, its the easiest of the lot and is fairly powerful. Then take on Perl, and then C++, if you start with C++ you may be diving in at the deep end.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

i suggest you to learn c++.you said that you use linux.then you will find c++ very useful.as mentioned before c is the language that the OS is written with.butif you want to have a deep knowledge of programming you sould start with pascal.many say that pascal is a dead language.i partly agree with them.i'm saying that pascal is a way to put your way of thinking in order and make wonderful things.then you should learn c. MERRY XMAS