Thread: Mis

Post Mis

I am very much new to AO but have a quick question. I read another post that talks about someone wanting to go into network security and is an information systems major but have the option of network side or programming side to choose from. I am currently in MIS and would like a job in one of the following areas: security, pen testing, forensics. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on where and what I might need to do. I would like to know what certs I might need, if I need to go on to get masters or is bs fine, and basically what opportunities are available to MIS grads. I know some are network admin, systems analyst. Any help is appreciated.

coVert

Well, you are on the right track with the degree in MIS. That should prove very useful. During your time off from school, I would suggest some contracting positions that fit your schedule. This will help to get you some exposure. The goal here is to get some technical experience on your resume so that you can leverage it. Also, look to learn from those that you work with. Many times, it really is who you know. You never know, one of those contracting positions could land you a full-time job by the time you graduate. There are always small jobs like migrations to Windows 2000 or whatever that are available. Get in contact with a Technical agency of some sort for employment of this nature. They should be relatively easy to find, and they do the leg work for you. They always have clients that need temporary help doing something. Use it to your advantage. There are always internships, but they tend to pay less. However, way your options. Pay amount is probably not important right now. Get your experience how you can because it counts a lot when it's time to go for an interview. Maybe you could look up the alumni from your school to see if there are any that work in the field in which you are interested. Alumni are almost always willing to help fellow graduates out.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

I would recommend the network side of things, but of course, my background is in networking so I may have a biased opinion.

If you are currently in the field, I am sure you have probably had at least a little exposure to both. The best advice I could give anyone is to make sure you like what you do, money will come naturally, so choose one or the other based on your interests and you can't go wrong. The areas you listed as the types of things you would like to do does weigh a little heavier on the network side of things than the programming side, but security is really an entirely different animal anyway.

Originally posted here by t2k2
    Well, you are on the right track with the degree in MIS. That should prove very useful. During your time off from school, I would suggest some contracting positions that fit your schedule. This will help to get you some exposure. The goal here is to get some technical experience on your resume so that you can leverage it. Also, look to learn from those that you work with. Many times, it really is who you know. You never know, one of those contracting positions could land you a full-time job by the time you graduate. There are always small jobs like migrations to Windows 2000 or whatever that are available. Get in contact with a Technical agency of some sort for employment of this nature. They should be relatively easy to find, and they do the leg work for you. They always have clients that need temporary help doing something. Use it to your advantage. There are always internships, but they tend to pay less. However, way your options. Pay amount is probably not important right now. Get your experience how you can because it counts a lot when it's time to go for an interview. Maybe you could look up the alumni from your school to see if there are any that work in the field in which you are interested. Alumni are almost always willing to help fellow graduates out.
    t2k2, you give wonderful advice, guess i will have ta have yer email lol
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

thanks alot guys you were a big help. I am definetly thinking of doing an intern somewhere but we'll see. Thanks

coVert

Get an internship thru your school and get as much exposure during that intership to all sides of IT.

The internship can probably be setup thru your career center or talk to an academic advisor.

Experience is like gold for a person starting out in IT.