Thread: Scan for Root/Admin?

Scan for Root/Admin?

Is it possible, say if your running nmap, and while scanning, you can scan and see if a person is logged in as root/admin?

And you want this why?
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

You don't just ask questions like that and just expect an anwser. You need to have a good security related reason. The information that you are asking for could be used to harm somebodies pc. I don't this is the right place to ask that, only if it is for a security reason ( it doesn't look like it). I won't be the one to anwser this question, because it is a securoty risk, sorry.

My bad for being so general.

Maybe we should rate the response to this post 'paranoid.' Hey it generated discussion.

The reason I ask is because I have heard that you should never run IRC as root/admin. Possible scanner like nmap will detect this?

What about if a person is loggin' to their Linux box as admin. Does a scanner like nmap detect this?

If so, how? To lessen a security risk.

Have you ever used nmap?
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

Nmap, yes. I mention it in my first post on this thread.

I was looking for some sort of examples as to why someone would scan using nmap looking for processes that were owned by admin/root.

Owned by root and root being logged on are 2 diiferent animals. A portscan wont tell who who's there. Some IRC clients might assign you a nick of the curent user name, that's one reason you don't use IRC as root. another reason is an IRC cllient running with root privledges is just begging to be exploited. Use your imagination. But to answer your question completely, a portscan wont tell who is logged in, unless you find a nice finger server misconfigured to allow null requests, or something similar
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

Originally posted here by doktorf00bar
    Owned by root and root being logged on are 2 diiferent animals.
    Good point.

But to answer your question completely, a portscan wont tell who is logged in, unless you find a nice finger server misconfigured to allow null requests, or something similar

That answers my question then.

thanks