Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ports?

Yes that makes sense! Well maybe thats my problem...I'll have a look for a server I know works and I shall try it. Thanks alot

Places to Telnet

Here is one place for you to telnet to on port 23: tcfreenet.org . It only lets you use a limited version of Lynx as a guest, but I do not know what it would let you do as a registered user.
    Binary005

What program you using to find out if some ones viewing ur ports?
    Please could you tell me. Thankyou

Plus some Information for you:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In news group alt.hacking, you wrote...
    >
    > the main thing i want to learn is to get into some ones pc just by
    > knowing their IP. So all this is just to ask I'm ready to start learing
    > hacking were do i go.................

Port 139. NetBIOS Session (TCP), Windows File and Printer Sharing
    This is the single most dangerous port on the Internet. All "File and
    Printer Sharing" on a Windows machine runs over this port. About 10% of
    all users on the Internet leave their hard disks exposed on this port.
    This is the first port hackers want to connect to, and the port that
    firewalls block.
    http://www.iss.net/security_center/a...39/default.htm

Very simple. Search the net for info on how to exploit this port. It's
    out there. Commands can be given in an msdos window. Good luck finding a
    machine with filesharing turned on.

A tool to help you:
    http://www.webattack.com/get/superscan.shtml

-Neb.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am running Zone alarm pro 3.5 and a program called Genius 3.1
    I'm downloading that program u susgested, thanks a lot I read the blerb (sp) and it sounds really good!
    Is it what hackers use to connect to peoples computers? 'cause then I will find more about it and see what I can do to prevent it happening to me.
    Thanks again!

What really gets me mad is that there are these sites set up that talk about port scanners and they say stuff like "Port scanners are the number one tool in the script kiddies arsenal" , I mean these ignorant people never heard of testing out your own systems security and seeing if your system is vulnerable !? wtf , they need to stop stereo-typing.
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Well, I don't know whether I would call it stereotyping. It's just that it's a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you can discover vulnerabilities before attackers have the chance to get to them. And on the other, the attacker could easily discover that you have something crazy like anonymous FTP running on an internet-exposed machine or something else that could open you up to becoming a zombie for the attacker. I think they are probably right in saying that it is the attackers #1 tool. Of course, it all depends on how they come across. They could have said that all people that use port scanners are attackers, and maybe that's why the statement is rubbing you the wrong way. From that aspect, I can understand why you would be a little upset. You know they say that ignorance is a curse, or at least my High School Algebra teacher used to say that all the time.

Cheers,

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Well, first about ports: as have been stated before, there´s a comprehensive list o well-known ports and protocols related to them on IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority).
    But it doesn´t mean a program can´t listen on another port, which would be useful to be able to work through some firewalls. A Trojan may use a ftp port, for instance. (21). If you have access to a *nix like so, you may know the inetd. It controls a lot of servers, and reading the lines of inetd.conf (its configuration file) you may where are the programs running on each port (or that may run, since most are commented). Having a look at the line about systat, you may notice this command line : ps auxx . Try this on you machine and you will know how systat works. At least one implementation..
    Ah, a nice substitute for telnet as a general "connect-on-everything" is netcat. I think it is way better than any telnet client for several situations. Well, one problem is that it doesn't filter ansi color code, so its awful for playing MUD.. . But its features are pretty nice .
    And you may want to know about ssh, and use it instead of telnet when you want access to another computer, since it offers you encryption of data. Passwords are easily captured in a telnet session, for they travel in plain text. hmm and emails are usually sent "naked" .. another thing to worry? Probably.