firewall question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: firewall question

firewall question

So I was told to get a firewall called tiny, but it costs 40 dollars!!!
    The version I have is older and for free, but my computer keeps freezing everytime I have it on. I know zonealarm is not good and I don't understand why. Looks good to me!!!!! Does anybody know of another good firewall for free? Thanks!!

Couple of ?'s for you. Do you have an old machine that you don't use that is at least a 486 w/16mb ram, and are you on broadband?

If so, check out smoothwall.

It is free and acts as your firwall/proxy and router. It is easy to setup and works very well for me.

You install and configure it (*nix based) and you detach monitor, mice and keyboard and administer it from another machine on your network. This machine also requires two NICs, but they are easy enough to come up with. I would recommend both NICs be 10/100 or greater, or it will slow down your connection depending on how many users are going through it.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

There are lots of good, free firewalls. What phishphreek80 said is the best way to go. We have a home network routed through an old 486 running Slackware Linux and a firewall.

Free firewalls are Kerio, Sygate, ZoneAlarm, Look and Stop Lite, Agnitum Outpost, and probably others, besides Tiny Personal (which I thought offered a free version). Go to http://www.webattack.com/freeware/freeware.htm They're all there. Personally, if I were looking again, I would go with Sygate as being the simplest. In reality, read phishphreek's comments and if you can do it, go that way. It's the safest route.

i thought little tiny firewall was free!!!!
    i got it free from www.tucows.gr .
    many say that zone alarm is one of the best firewalls and it is also free.
    i suggest you should install one of these two and come to your own conclusions!

If you have a spare old machine that you are going to use for a firewall then check out OpenBSD, a free secure OS that performs well as a firewall, and will run on pretty much anything.

Tiny did use to be free but the latest version is not.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Banned
    let's make it a project...i'll hook u up w/some iptables...and u can do my laundry =)

I have been using Zone Alarm for a while and have not had any problems at all. I have been running it on a W2K box for about a year.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

Kwiep
    Kerio (www.kerio.com) It's almost the same as the older tiny (they were one before) but up to date.
    Double Dutch

well guys i use norton and have no problem at all.but i have recently come up an exploit that gives you full control of a system protected by this program.noone told me more about this exploit,and i was wondering if any of you knows anything about that.or it's just words?

amon, check out http://www.wilders.org/links.htm They have forums on all kinds of security matters. I think you can post as a guest, but if nobody here answers, I'd ask that question in their firewalls forum. An added plus is that a lot of the people involved in building and testing products, from antivirus to firewalls, to you name it also post there.