Thread: Linux/WindowsXP Wireless Networking

Linux/WindowsXP Wireless Networking

Hey, I'm running WindowsXP Home and Linux Mandrake 9 with kernel 2.4.19-16.

Just wanted to know if anybody has any experiance with wirelessly networking these two OSes with a NetGear Wireless Cable/DSL Router (model MR814 with 4-port 10/100 Mbps switch).

Right now I'm seriously stumped. Me, being the dumbass that I am, didn't read the "compatible with <insert Windows OS line-up here>. " But I did, however, come accross this website:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wire...06/recipe.html

...which does offer a bit of insight. But I just wanted to know what problems you guys came across and how (if you did) you overcame them.

Thanks in advance.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

What brand of cards are you using?

I had a very hard time dealing with my RH 8 box with a wireless network card. I had a linksys card, and just could not get it to work. I tried everything. All the resources I could find on the web didn't help. I finally decided that the card was defective, except it worked fine in Win2k.

Since this was for work I convinced them to get me a Cisco Aironet 350 card, which comes with all the nescessary linux drivers and utilities on the CD, it works like a champ, except airsnort doesn't like it much, it works but not without some elbow grease.

Exactly what problems are you having?

There are quite a few sources for help through google. You just need to tweak the words you use a bit. Though, like I said, none of them worked for me.