DSL and dial-up question.

Thread: DSL and dial-up question.

DSL and dial-up question.

You always hear of a person with a broadband connection being "hacked" or attempts being made. Why is this? I know the ip addy is always the same (static) and the dial-up is not (dynamic) this will account for something I know but if the dial-upperson is one for say ten hours how come this person is not hacked? Wouldn't this be enough time for it to happen? what I am getting at is it a good idea for me to have a firewall as a dial-up user for when I am on for extended times? Any help will be appreciated.

melakii
    \"I am trying to beat it but it is a losing fight.\" - My dad said this the day before he died. I will make him proud.

I know the ip addy is always the same (static) and the dial-up is not (dynamic)
    Actually, this is not the case any longer. Once upon a time, most broadband connections were static IP, but these days you will be hard pressed to find a provider who will give you a static IP address. If they are willing, they will usually classify you as a commercial customer and charge you a higher rate. They do this for a variety of reasons, one of them being the one you mentioned, and another being to prevent people from eating up all the bandwidth by running public servers from their bedrooms.

what I am getting at is it a good idea for me to have a firewall as a dial-up user for when I am on for extended times?
    The question should be, "Is there any good reason NOT to use a firewall?" and the answer is no. And there is every reason to have one. Go get it. Now.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

melakii > actually both get attacked, but broadband is a more "juicy" target. As a dialup users, I see an average of about 150 to 200 entries in my attack detection log on my firewall.

problemchild > I wasnt aware that isps were moving away from static ips for broadband users. fortunately my isp hasnt dropped that option yet, though they charge 10 bucks extra for a static ip. I can see where they would want to move away from static ips though.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Thank you for your help it was greatly appreciated. I talked to my dad and we are going to get a firewall really soon. I never knew that broadband ip addys changed. Something good to know.

melakii
    \"I am trying to beat it but it is a losing fight.\" - My dad said this the day before he died. I will make him proud.

In some areas you can get a dynamic IP broadband account. CenturyTel offers it, a friend of mine who works tech support there has one. Not too sure how it works though, I've never used his computer. It probably has something to do with IP pools or the like.
    RedTheFed

\"If you can\'t make it good, make it look good.\" - Bill Gates