Thread: linux experts,come here

linux experts,come here

hi guys
    how r u all doing?
    I wanna install linux redhat beside my win98se
    Iheard that linux is gonna reformat my whole harddisk
    and Iam gonna loose everything I have!!
    so is this true?
    I do want install linux but I want it beside my windows without any loss of my data
    what's ur advice??
    I have a 40 gigs HD
    four partitions
    so what do u think?

Are any of your partitions free space?? If they are, just slap Redhat into one of the free partitions, use the boot loader, probably Lilo, and you'll be good to go.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

If one of your partition's have free space, during the RedHat installation process, it will ask you if you want to partition your hard drive, mainly so you can dual-boot your machine. By doing that, at startup your computer will ask you which OS you would like to go into and (in your case) Win98se or RedHat (whichever version, probably 8.0). Hope I helped, and if you need more help, feel free to PM me.

EDIT: So you know, I'm far from a Linux Expert
    Space For Rent.. =]

The safest bet is to get something like Partition Magic to safely resize your current partiation, assuming you currently have one large partition. If you do, just resize it with PMagic so that you have some space left over. This will be considered unallocated space. Make it a few gigs depending on how much you have to work with. Then, you can boot with your Linux CD in the drive and choose to install in free space - the unallocated space you just created. It will format it for you and create a swap space as well. I did this with my XP Home machine just last night. However, I suspect that my Linux partition is too small - only 4 Gigs. I wonder what the best way to "extend it would be...probably with Partition Magic again! This prog is great! Ok, ok, calming down now. Oh, by the way, I setup the dual boot with RedHat 8.0. It's running great. Hope that helps (other than my personal excitement, of course).

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

thank u guys
    one more thing
    now my hard disk is 4 partitions
    c-d-e-f
    c or windows
    and d is 4.87 gigs
    can I use my d for installing linux on it!!
    or I have to modify something
    by the way my linux is hancom
    any ideas??

Sure can, that's enough space.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Back When I tried doing this, i had redhat 6.x and it didnt like partitioning good, but mandrake 7.x did so i used that, but iv heard newer versions of redhat are much better, as the others said, if you have partitions on your computer already that you dont have anything on, just use those, otherwise yes partition magic is really awesome and will do it for you, if you bought the redhat it prolly came with manuals, (thats why i buy Linux) and it prolly came with more than one book or a huge one, and in there it should have a section on installing it next to another OS, just grab the book and open it up to this section and follow along as your doing it for the most painless install, (hey if your a real adventurer select a language you dont speak for the install lol..kidding dont do that) but do follow along in the manual, while your installing make sure you remember which partition it was that you have free space you ARE NOT using, and tell Linux to set itself up in there, itll ask you about setting a "/" partition which is root, a home partition and a swap space, for the swap partition, most people say however much ram you have times 1.5 or something, iv found it easier to just set the swap partition to however much ram you have and add 12 MBs, so if you have 256 megs of ram, set the swap as 268 MBs and you should be fine, also be sure to have a boot loader so when you reboot it asks you if you wanna run Linux or windows for this session, (the machine also may reboot a few tmes durring insall, but when you finish it up make sure you have a boot loader, lilo or grub work well) and ALWAYS back up your important things you dont wanna loose just in case (iv had an install go bad on me before and ended up having to reformat and reinstall every thing) so back up, make sure your backed up, and it helps to know what hardware you have, like how much ram you have, your HD size, what partitions are what (just write this stuff down) and your sound card, your monitor, video card, and what modem you have and if your on a LAN (for example a home network) and then you have a lil sheet of paper next to you so when it asks you what type of stuff you have (it will also try and figure it out, but having the lil paper handy will be good incase it cant guess all your hardware, also it will most likely "probe" for hardware, this stage can freeze sometimes, so while it's probing leave the machine alone, but if it doesnt seem to move for more than like 12 minutes or so reboot and try again, and also having the booklet to your computer and your monitor can help in case you need to adjust the frequency or something in your monitor settings.) after all this it will finish the install and then ask you to reboot, when you reboot, be sure YOU TAKE OUT THE CD AND OR FLOPPY you prolly dont wanna do this all over again lol. after all this though and you reboot, you should see lilo or grub, asking you which OS to boot, try booting into Windows by selecting it and make sure you can still boot into it, and if you wanna you can boot into red hat first, log in as root and get ready for configuration time lol,Linux is a TRUE multi task multi user system so pressing cancel wont work, after you log in, youll see your system with REd hat, if you installed X youll prolly have a nice graphical log in and some nice backgrounds and stuff, if you dont have X started at start up, at the prompt type "startx" if you wanna see the X window system, otherwise whip out that book and have fun, and if Windows 98 SE wont boot after your done, dont worry, theres still hope, read threw anti Onlines search and look for partitioning, Red hat install and Windows 98 SE and MBR and or Master boot record fix and also google it, youll be ok though

EDIT: also, if your computer get really messed up for some reason, boot with a windows boot Disk and then after your at the "A:>" prompt, type in "C:" and press enter, then type fdisk/mbr and itll redo that, but only use that as a last option.

thank u man
    I really appreciate it
    but I am worried about changing my sustem file from fat32 to linux
    I dont wanna loose my contents
    I got my books and software after hardwork
    so now u htink partition d is enough
    I can format it
    then install linux on it
    Iam gonna do it but after copying all I want to cds
    thanks again buddy

i think you should format one of your partition.after emptying that from data.then install linux on that partition.you should also install lilo(a boot loader) which will guide you everytime you boot your pc and let you choose the os you want to load.i suggest you should have lilo in a disk and load it from there.just avoid having lilo in your master boot record.it may cause problems in the near future.

Hi amon. As far as having lilo or grub in the mbr, it's too late for me. What problems could this cause? How would I remove it or restore the Windows loader if I decided to get rid of Linux? I was wondering about this when I setup a dual boot at work before.

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile