I'm networking windoz computers.....

Thread: I'm networking windoz computers.....

I'm networking windoz computers.....

Hey i'm having a problem sharing folders on my network. When users try to access shares on others computer on the LAN, they are prompted by a Password box. Though I have never set a password for the share. So their is absolutely no password that would work. The OS's are 98/XP. Is this because of the file permissions?

thanks fellas

If you are using different user names and passwords on the boxes, you will get this. If you want to connect to the XP machine, you must be logged into the 98 machine with the same credentials. Or, specify your username and password when you map drives.

From a command prompt on the 98 machine trying to connect to XP.

Syntax is as folows
    [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\vol
            [/USER:[dotted domain name\]username]
            [/USER:[username@dotted domain name]
            [[/DELETE] | [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]]
    NET USE {devicename | *} [password | *] /HOME
    From XP, you can do the same thing, but with the username and password of the 98 machine.

Sometimes if you didn't set a share password... you will have to use the Guest credentials. (that should only be for 98... XP should* require some authentication)
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

The only other way around creating the same user accounts on all machines that I can think of is to setup a domain so that all user accounts(domain) are kept in one place. However, phishphreek is absolutely correct in saying that you would have to have the same accounts on all machines in a peer-to-peer network.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.