Thread: my new system

Talking my new system

Hi all

today i installed my first Linux Mandrake 8.0, kernel 2.4.3, KDE 2.1.1, Gnome 1.4, starOffice 5.2, Glibc 2.2.2, Gcc 2.96, RPM 4.0, QT 2.3, Apache 1.3.19 and much more

feel soo happy , can't tell how much .

although i lost all ma windows part during installation but who gives a dmnsht , i had my backup

but i'm still facing some problems like, i'm used to AO site to be in yellow but now it's grey "confused" donno why !!! just wondering, lol weired and funny, and i have some other problems ....

well, that's it. just thought of sharing u my happy moments with LINUX ...
    ah, the scroll doesn't work in my mouse any more ...

i think i'll be using it for a couple of days then get back to u peep for some help ...
    anyway , no more windows , this the best part of story.

thnx
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

It's a gas!
    Congrats on your first install bimmer, now you'll never look back

Dont know why youre getting the colour issues with your browser, what browser are you using?
    With regards to your scroll not working you could try editing your XF86Config file as follows
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice" 
    Identifier "mouse" 
    Driver "mouse" 
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" 
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" 
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" 
    EndSection
    Worked for me!

Cheers

r3b00+

Good onya mate,
    Just getting the pieces together (that is assembling) for a Linux box... All being equal shd have it running with mandrake by 18:00 in today...(BTW Happy New Year)..

I had to get a linux box up and running.. the BGN (Back Ground Noise = Wife) loves the games that come with KDE.. She won't touch the Win box's..geez dunno why (lol)

Cheers and All the Best
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

thnx r3b00+, i'm using Konqueror 2.1.1 using KDE 2.1.2 ..
    regarding the XF86 how can i access to that , sorry, but just a newbie to Linux
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix

*sigh* ahhhh memorys....screwing up the Windows partition, the mouse not working...but realising your runing something that most people cant even comprehend lol, congradulations man, i hope the rest of your *NIX adventure goes awesome and Happy New Year to you! And your modem seems to be working on your first install, thats a problem iv always had with an OS was the modem deciding itdidnt wanna show up, lol, have fun man.

It's a gas!
    Sorry never used Konqueror before so cant help you there.
    To access the XF86Config file cd into /etc/X11 then type vi XF86Config which will show you the contents of the file. Look for the 'InputDevice' section and edit it as mentioned before.

Worked on redhat but should be basically the same for mandrake.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

well, ma modem and LAN screen all my laptop ( Toshiba satellite ) just work perfect, but when i scroll down using scroll bars on right side, it moves in a slow motion a bit, i think there's some settings needed to be done.

anyway, as a first run, i feel gr8 and satisfied , don't ask for more specially after winOS family .

bimmer,

Good choice man!!! One more person walking the Linux path!!!

Rather than Konqueror i prefer to use Mozilla. They have released its 1.3a version and, in my opinion, if you use the "modern theme" and apply the Mozilla's own pop-up killer it's better than Konqueror.

If you want to give it a try, open Mozilla, go to View/Apply Theme/ and choose "Modern", then go to Edit/Preferences/Advanced/Scripts & Plugins and uncheck the "Open unrequested windows" option.

You can download Mozilla 1.3a from http://www.mozilla.org/releases/

Good luck!!!

Very cool. I just made my machine at home a dual-boot with RedHat 8 just the other night, so I can share in the excitement a bit. I was wondering about the scroll thing too, so that definitely helps. Thanks r3b00!
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile