Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To ride or not to ride... that is the ?

I have 2 cruisers, an 1100 and an 1800. I ride almost every weekend. I live in Southwest Florida. I ride VERY defensivly (?sp). I think there are inherent dangers in off road and on road riding. You just need to understand what they are and ride with that in your head. It gets kinda ugly here during tourest season but I try to stay off the more congested roads. It makes for nicer rides anyway.

Ride safe.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

Originally posted here by Phat_Penguin
    I agree with tyger_claw here, I own two bikes, a large powerful road machine and a fairly large off-road bike.

The road machine rarely gets ridden these days and the dirt bike is trailered to the bush where my friends and I have a scream - lots of thrills and spills, but at low speeds and we are always dressed up like gladiators with all the protective gear - in this environment we are almost always in control of our destiny, unlike on the road.

We have just come back from a day out and had a laugh a minute, must have fallen off 1/2 dozen times trying to put these things where mountain goats wouldn't go - but I am still in one piece and not in pain. Has to be a bonus.

With the roads becoming congested as they are, motorcycling among the traffic is extemely hazardous to your health and there isn't really anywhere you can ride the large road bikes these days to use them to their true potential - (except at a race track) where you could end up like the man in the picture or in jail.

Go with a dirt bike, keep it off the roads and have a ton of fun but remember to respect the area you are riding in or the authorities will close it off to bikes.

The important thing to remember is that all of us have to take the responsibility of our actions. Phat_Pengiun sounds like someone who uses all precautions in their power. I hate to speak ill of those who can't defend themselves, but I imagine he was not.

I have been riding dirt bikes for probably the last ten years and I would say dual purpose bike or not on pavement they just dont cut it. You made a good choice.
    \"Hardware: the parts of a computer that can be kicked.\"
    -Jeff Pesis

Angry

Dirt bikes are great...nothing quite like being on a designated hiking trail, ejoying nature when some guy comes up on and exrtemely loud and smelly dirtbike. In fact, I really love how the exhaust fumes subtly mix with the nice outdoor scents. And what kind of crazy person doesn't like loud, high pitched whines?

Sarcasm aside, there's nothing worse than being out somewhere nice and having one of these things (or worse, a convoy) drive by. It's even worse when the trail specifically forbids dirtbikes, and they come anyway. Even on trails where they aren't prohibited, they are still quite loud, and dangerous to pedestrian traffic on the narrow trails.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla nĂ¡ engwar.

i was gonna get a bike but my girlfriend is very scared of the idea so im not going to .. i suppose it hasnt helped that i have showed her most of the pics on rotten.com and bangedup.com etc hehe

i have seen a few accidents in my time people on bikes trapped under cars etc. i think if you dont break the speed limit and do all things safety you are still not safe it is just a much safer idea to have a car... in my opinion

mind you risks are fun and meant to be taken whooot
    Just because you don\'t see it doesn\'t mean it\'s not there

Dunno about others, but i believe most countries in asia (or at least south east asia), half the roads are trafficked by motorbikes. Why? because most of us here can't afford buying and maintaining a car (buying gas, paying taxes, etc). I myself used to ride a bike (not the dirt one) when i was in highschool and univ. Now i have a job and I own and drive a car, but i really miss those days... feeling the wind in my hair...

So what can say? Wear a helmet, wear a jacket, ride safely, and u'll be fine.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

good desision PP80
    i used to own a kawasaki ninja, but where i used to live it was a quite place and nice to ride bikes.

the main problem is not you or the bike, but the idiot and stupid intruders ( car drivers )
    some of them just think that this bike should be driven off the road and not with car.

so, it all depends on the place you live in.

but in all cases, i prefer to ride your bike in a special track fro bikes.
    it would be even more fun.

enjoy the ride bro, and take care
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

To ride or not to ride

I am going to give you a mother's and a nurses view of dirt bikes and motorcycles..One of my sons was extremely athletic. You name the sport and he could do it.Perfect eye to hand co-ordination. I accompanied him once three wheeling and it was fun and we laughed like crazy but it was in a safe flat desert. He went dirt biking in the woods up on a mountain , hit a rock , the bike fishtailed and he slammed into a tree split his helmet in half and somersaulted over the handlebars, landed on his back and broke his femur, had he not been with another fellow he would never have been able to get help it was far into the woods. They tried to pin him couldn't operate because he had deveoped blood clots so he had to lay in traction for a couple of months taking coumadin(a blood thinner)He deveoped further complications the bone wouldn't meld He was then transferred home and had to lay in a body cast in a bed in the living room for six months We had to transport him ouselves after the insurance wouldnt pay for ambulance rides any more to the hospital for x-rays and examinationsTotal cost for us out of our pockets 16,000. and a year lost out of his life He almost went crazy lying there. Needless to say he sold his bike.In the hospital where I worked (surgical floor) I saw young heathly people with one leg shorter than the other from bike complications , faces scarred, bodies wrecked and some people who would not be able to enter their profession because they had put thier lives on hold some temporarily some permanently The orthopedic people had a saying "support the orthopedic department ride a motorcycle. " Not funny but true. Auntie
    For hundreds of years the brain was physically capable of the thoughts of a Galelio or an Aristotle among people who had not yet learned to count to ten. Much of that equipment is still unused and waiting.