Thread: QVERSION.DLL not found

QVERSION.DLL not found

Hi All,

Happy Hoildays! I am visiting my parents for the holidays and my father as an issue with his w98 box sp1. When he logs in using his profile he receives a popup saying A regureed .DLL file, QVERSION.DLL, was not found. All the information I find on qversion.dll is a Samba component (I know he is not using Samba for file and print sharing). I checked start-up and the Run section of the registry neither call processes which require this .DLL (they all start error free). Any thoughts on what be casuing this problem?

w98 sp1 see attached for screen shots of run section of registry and start-up. I did a search on all those programs and they all came back as valid and useful.

Thanks,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

I have a qversion.dll that is a "Quicken Version DLL" copyright by Intuit. The screenshots did not show if Quicken is installed on his PC or not. I could not find any other info other than Samba.
    If you receive something that says \'Send this to everyone you know,\' pretend you don\'t know me.

As magnoon said qversion.dll is also a quicken run time library, this name is probably used by other software as well. Maybe he used a quicken program to do his taxes? search the reg for qversion to see what it belongs to.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Thanks to all. The solution was to uninstall Quicken (apparently Dad had attempted a floppy install and it failed around disk 4). The confusion for me was that the system had no qversion.dll and all google hits pointed to Samba.

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

I know you have already fixed your problem, but another way to find out is to look in your startup directory/registry.

Since you are on Win98, you can type msconfig in the run box.
    Click on the startup tab and rule out entries.

Process of elimintaion... not always the fastest way... but seems to always work.

Who knows... you might even just speed up your boot too.

Almost every program that is installed tries to run itself when the computer starts up.
    Most of the time, you don't need to do this.

I know quicken is one of those programs that tries to start itself.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.