Were you duped, too?

Thread: Were you duped, too?

Were you duped, too?

Okay, I'm feeling pretty silly right now. I've been going off on a tirade over the last week to anyone who would listen about how "video games don't cause violence!" in response to the recently formed organization MAVAV (Mothers Against Videogame Addiction and Violence). Some of the "facts" on the website for this organization sounded completely fabricated, and outright appalling. Things like:

Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPG) is a digital escape from the real world for emotionally unhealthy and mentally unstable people. It is a place for computer enthusiasts and social outcasts to gather un-bothered and un-harassed by the realities of real life.
    and

Do videogames make people violent?
    Yes. What was once a debatable question, is now fact. New research has concluded that videogame violence and behavior related violence are in fact closely related.
    After reading a whole page of this tripe, I was ready to sic the ACLU on these freaks. Until I read the blog of one of my favorite web cartoons, Penny Arcade. In it, they revealed that MAVAV was actually a hoax perpetrated by one David Yoo for some school project. Man...I was caught hook, line, and sinker. I don't know whether my being so easily duped is a credit to David for such a masterful forgery, my extreme gullibility, or to society for becoming so ridiculous as of late regarding video game violence that such a forgery would actually be possible! Anyway, to all those of you who were conned, too (you know who you are ), fear not. Your video games are still safe....for now.

Read about David Yoo's project here:
    http://a.parsons.edu/~dyoo/2002-3/interactivity/mavav/
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Where is the proof that you found that MAVAV is actually fabricated?!

Everything I have looked at looks legit. I have never really looked into or heard about this group... but maybe I'm being duped too?

I mean... they even have stories on CNN and MSNBC .... even CNET ...

Here is their Homepage.

EDIT: Nevermind... I missed that last link somehow... LOL

HOLY Sh*7!? How could they have gotten away with it?! LOL

THat is too damn funny!

I give ALL my greenies for the day to him.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Yup. I, too, feel like one of those large suckers that Elmer Fudd turns into when Bugs tricks him into running off a cliff.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */