Question about Port 1076 and Kazaa

Thread: Question about Port 1076 and Kazaa

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar

Question about Port 1076 and Kazaa

I'm hoping someone can help me understand why port 1076 is so interesting to online users on Kazaa. I know for starters Kazaa is a vat for viruses and trojans but, a couple people use this computer and they flipped when I said I wanted to delete Kazaa altogether. Kazaa Lite doesn't seem to like my system either..so I'm stuck with plain old Kazaa. Anyways, I'm using Outpost as my firewall and configured all running applications, including Kazaa. This is working ok for now.
    More important is my question at hand. I notice (outisde of the usual NetBios port scans) that port 1076 is scanned constantly..I'd say at least 5-10 times every 10 minutes. I ran a search on this port and got this listing:

dab-sti-c 1076/tcp DAB STI-C
    dab-sti-c 1076/udp DAB STI-C
    World DAB <worlddab_irc@worlddab.org>

What's with this port? why are people so interested in this particular port?
    any help would be great.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

I just looked it up here and it doesn't look like too much going on...

Looks like that port has something to do with digital broadcasting of multimedia? Thats all I can make of it...

Just to test it... I fired up Kazaa lite and started pulling down a song. I started to play it while it was still downloading. Fired up fport and I'm not getting any port 1076. Are you sure Kazaa uses it? I'm not showing any search results that have anything to do with kazaa. Just the

dab-sti-c 1076/tcp DAB STI-C
    dab-sti-c 1076/udp DAB STI-C

that you got. I can't find too much info about it though. Just the digital broadcasting thing.

Who is so interested in you keeping open that port? Why do they claim you need it?
    If people freaked on me when I wanted to disable something and they don' t want me too... I'd sure what to know why.

Anyone else?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    I figured including a screen shot of Outpost would help. I let Kazaa run for a little over 10 mins and well, the same old BS happened as usual. Check out this screen shot of my Outpost and you'll see what I mean. I looked at it and asked myself 2 questions.
    1) what the hell is the deal with port 1076?
    2) what the hell am I doing up at 2am when I got work at 7am?
    (question 2 is optional)

Yes, I know it was only scanned once in this zip, but on average it's scanned a hell of alot more than this.
    Also, the reason I can't delete Kazaa is because I have a very over bearing sister who insists on using my computer and doesn't comprehend security very well. Just the typical 'why can't I download this song, I want it now' mentality. To her, a firewall is about as important as a toaster.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

I'm not real knowledgeable on this subject but I'm thinking there is a folder named BDE on you comp and there is a program in it that may be the program that is keeping the port open. BDE stands for Brilliant Digital Entertainment (a company that markets 3d ads among otherthings). It comes with Kazaa when when you install it, Kazaa lite on the other hand is the some exact program but comes without this software. I hope I have been of some help.

melakii
    \"I am trying to beat it but it is a losing fight.\" - My dad said this the day before he died. I will make him proud.

Kazaa

Not sure if this is relevant to 'your' situation; but
    Kazaa uses port 1214

Kazaa also enables 'Hotbar' 'Xupiter' 'CommonName'
    to be added to your registry. (just cleaned out a client
    computer but I didn't check the open ports)

CommonName Protocol is listed in RFC (supposed to be
    authentic) but it becomes a 'service' and if you attempt
    to remove the files......poof.......no more IP connection
    to your network card. You have to 'regsrv32 /u' the
    active DLL (think it was 'babea.dll') or such.

My 2 cents worth

I'm thinking there is a folder named BDE on you comp and there is a program in it that may be the program that is keeping the port open. BDE stands for Brilliant Digital Entertainment (a company that markets 3d ads among otherthings). It comes with Kazaa when when you install it, Kazaa lite on the other hand is the some exact program but comes without this software.
    Kazaa also enables 'Hotbar' 'Xupiter' 'CommonName'
    to be added to your registry. (just cleaned out a client
    computer but I didn't check the open ports)

CommonName Protocol is listed in RFC (supposed to be
    authentic) but it becomes a 'service' and if you attempt
    to remove the files......poof.......no more IP connection
    to your network card. You have to 'regsrv32 /u' the
    active DLL (think it was 'babea.dll') or such.
    That is probably why I didn't see that port open... I'm using Kazaa Lite... "Kazaa without the sh*7"...

If I were you, I'd remove Kazaa, get and run the spyware cleaners and then install kazaa lite.

You shouldn't see those ports lisetening any longer.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.