Thread: Power User's DOS

Post Power User's DOS

Most people don't know what Dos is with all of Windows GUI apps on its OS. And don't know how to use it until they are forced to do so. First off, Dos doesn't mean (Denial of Service) if that what U were hoping for in this text then I'm sorry and that's really lame. It stands for Disk Operating System. It was use before windows was invented. Ok, now lets explore the power of Dos but lets review a few commads.

▐▐▐███▐▐▐███▐▐▐███▐▐▐███▐▐▐███▐▐▐███▐▐▐███▐▐▐███▐▐

md - makes a folder
    copy - take a guess!
    rd - deletes a folder
    cd - changes directories
    dir - displays directories and files(also try using with the /p or /w switch)
    del - deletes files
    < or > - redirection of a command or text
    | - pipes one command into another command (ex: dir | more)
    ren - renames a file or folder
    type - shows the contents of a file

▐▐▐███▐▐▐███▐▐▐███▐▐▐███▐▐▐███▐▐▐███▐▐▐███▐▐▐███▐▐

Now the CLI (command-line interface) is kewl to learn if your thinking of coming to Linux and its good practice for a noobie. Now lets explore the often forgotten wonders of Dos's cli to start it up go to Start > then click on Command Prompt or Start > Run > now type without the quotes of course "cmd.exe". You should now have a black box on your screen this is where we will be working from. If U don't know where is the start button on your taskbar study your OS more:-C If your still with me tyype "ver" it tells U what verison of Dos your running mine says: [5.1.2600] 8-] yes 2600 kewl ! Now lets have some phun type "md phun" U now should have a folder on your desktop or harddrive called phun. Then type "rd phun" now its gone. Type cd .. to go to the previous directory or cd directory name (ex: cd windows). What's a pipe U say¿ Let's see try dir | more wow it displays it one page at a time now try dir by itself. It scroll the screen to fast for eyes huh! Type "powerusers rule! > dos.txt now type " type "dos.txt" it displays the contents of the newly created file dos.txt. Now type "wonders of the command-line >> dos.txt" then type "type dos.txt" look at what your file now contains Qewl huh! Now type "the GUI is not as fast as the CLI > dos.txt " and then type "type dos.txt" it now overwritten your newly created file with what U last type. Let's explore some more commands now type "ren c:/dos.txt c:/lame.txt it just rename dos.txt to lame.txt . Noobie's I know your thinking what else can it do type "ping whateveruwant.com > whateveruwant.txt" it stores the info from this command to a file called U guessed it "whateveruwant.txt" To del the files just type "del whateveruwant.txt or whatever U what to delete.
    I know most newbies are familiar with notepad but while at the command prompt type "edit or edit.exe" its another text editor like notepad of type notepad.exe or whatever.exe and it will automatically start up whatever *.exe program type . That it for know I hope this exploration of the Dos was kewl and help out fellow noobie's using Windows learn their OS. Cause I had phun writing this text.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#!/usr/bin/env python
    Phaza7

Nice basics. I was hoping for something more in depth for "power users".

Dos is a great tool. I use it all the time for simple tasks. The ones you do everyday, but the pc could be doing while you are smoking or getting your coffee...

But I guess I can't really say anything cause I have yet to write a tutorial...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Microsofts only stable operating system, lol.

I still fool around on DOS a little bit. Believe it or not my dad still used one of the original IBM PC's until 4 years ago when the HD died. Thanks for the quick refresher on the basics. I too was hoping for a little more on the power user side though, Bat. file programming for example, but otherwise nice job.

melakii
    \"I am trying to beat it but it is a losing fight.\" - My dad said this the day before he died. I will make him proud.

Thanks for the positive feedback, I will go into bat programming in my next one.

Thanks for the refresher course. Anything else we should know about?

Maybe someone could do a tutorial on more advanced commands. That would be even better .

gotta love dos
    i still got 6.22 on a partition
    always a good backup :-D
    --=::[ LeNc}{ ]::=-- stealing your time for pathetic web sites since 1998

Lightbulb DoS

Dos Machines are great. They make the best and cheap systems for storing and viewing text files. I hope to post a .bat tutorial later to follow up power user's dos by phaza7.
    Gen. A

Bear in mind that cmd.exe is not DOS, nor is it part of DOS. cmd.exe is Windows NT's shell which emulates (to some extent) DOS's command.com, which is the command interpreter.

The feature overlap between cmd.exe and command.com is quite significant, but some things work completely differently between them (for instance pipes).

Be sure people know the difference.

Note that in Windows NT (Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows whatever they're calling it next etc) both are available, but command.com is run inside a dos box and cmd.exe runs natively (the system makes them look the same, but in fact they're very different)