Thread: pronunciation

Question pronunciation

Hi all,

I've had a little debate going on at work which so far has been unreasolved, and im sure someone here will know the true answer...

Now i've always believed that Linux is pronunced Linn-ux, but my boss at work and lecturer from my college days both pronunce it Line-ux!

can anyone solve this simple dispute?

cheers...

-aX

ops,
    sorry should have searched through the old threads first!

it appears that i was right "linn-ux", problem solved!

-aX
    \"I can resist everything, except temptation.\" - Oscar Wilde

The Iceman Cometh
    Actually, both are techincally correct. If you do research online, you will find different sources (from web sites, to books, to technical encyclopedias) refer to Linux as either Lin-ux or Line-ux. I know there's a story behind both of them, but I don't remember it at the moment. Through your computer career, you'll encounter people who pronounce it both ways. Basically, just stick with what you prefer. Everyone will know what you're talking about.

AJ

Strange that there both right,
    When Linus and freinds made up the name they must have pronounced it one way or the other?

The problem is when all your research is text based pronunciation can be a problem.

-aX

The Iceman Cometh
    I would assume Linus named Linux to resemble the pronunciation of his name. Therefore, if you can figure out how he pronounces his name, then you can find out what he originally intended it to be called...

AJ

arh!

Back to the drawing board lol

I don't supose anyone out there happens to know Linus? That would solve the problem for sure! (direct from source).

anywayz...

cheers for the input.

-aX

Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

The pronunciation would be "Lih-nucks" according to the "Sam's teach yourself Linux in 24 hours".

edit: I apologize Ammo. I think we wrote our answers at the same moment.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

hhhhmmm,

still confused...

unfortunately i have no speakers on my Dads XP box(which i'm using at the mo), and I hav'nt got round to investing in a generic sound card for my redhat box yet!

Looks like im gonna have to wait till monday when im at work to listen to what ammo provided!

But Lih-nucks sounds closer to linn-ux (as i put it) than Line-ux!
    so... maybe i was right?

-aX

The 2 sound clips are actually Linus himself saying:
    "Hello, this is Linus Torvalds, and I prounounce Linux as [Lee-nux]* "

*or so I'd phonetically spell it, although the "nux" sounds naturally correct in French but might be confusing in English: it's not an "ucks" it's an "u" as said in French... I can't come up with any word or phrase with that sound in English.. :/

Edit: Oh wait... the "u" would be like the "u" sound in "minus".

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Antionline Herpetologist
    The pronounciation is Linn-ux and not Line-ux according to a sound clip of Linus Torvalds saying Linux on my RedHat box. But Linus pronounces his name Line-us. Go figure.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com