Online gaming and cable modems

Thread: Online gaming and cable modems

Online gaming and cable modems

I dont know if this universal, but when I go online--like on BattleNet to play Starcraft-- I will ALWAYS lag horrendously, even though I have a cable modem with speeds frequenting 1 1/2 mbits! Ive heard its a "cap-limit" breach, and that game servers will either setr the game at LAN speed, or restrict my own speed. My question: Is there a tool or command I can use to "limit" my bad lag? I havent been able to play online in awhile!

Win XP Home
    1.3 Celeron w/ integrated graphics
    AT&T Broadband
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Some cable companies cap ur modem to ensure everyone gets there share of bandwith like AT&T maxes out at 1.5 before u get capped. i've never heard of setting speeds because tat would just increase the lag. if u call at&t about it the voicemail has an option that says press some number if your internet is slow. A guy can come over and help you out. or use one of the tweaking programs available like tweakmaster for ur cable modem and those "registry tweaks" or you can go here

Developer Extraordinar
    Battle.NET is fully of users with all sorts of different modems, you might only be lagging becasue your playing somone with a slow internet connection (Ie. 56 k) and they might be laggy, just becasue they're on a slow connection, if your playing agianst people with high speed connections, then you might want to call you ISP, as they might be able to fix it. Or, you modem could be capped at a slow speed. There are ways to uncap cable modem, but uncaping is illigal, and if your caught doing it, your ISP may terminate your account.

Cheers

-Micro
    Come to UnError.com

One guy was uncapping and at&t cable modem and had like infinite bandwith he was caught in 9 hours i tihnk he got caught and neve could use AT&T again. he used some otol that he tohught was a legal tweak but he didn't know of his high bandwith cause he was jsut playing games at the time. just save up in ur piggy bank and get urself some T3 or opticals