Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: network problem

what did you mean rcfirewall stop?
    Is this a script ? my stop script closes the box.
    You might try flushing all the rules and resetting them to the default ACCEPT , then logging EVERYTHING and see what the logs say
    Does "iptables -V " show you FOWARDING is being dropped?
    what does your routing table look like?

Oh, and don't forget
    # Dynamic IP users: SLIP, PPP, or DHCP leave this enabled
    echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    ok, let me put it another way. Let us forget all about iptables and firewalling. Let us just concentrate on gettin the packages from eth0 to eth1 ! eth0 = internal LAN, eth1 = external LAN. Forget the firewalls and all the rules it has, i want to forward packages from the internal lan (ETH0) to the external LAN (ETH1), or do i HAVE to have iptables running?

And @ soggy, the error message i am getting when i ping is network unreachable or destination unreachable
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

can you post up your routing table?
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

im sorry, right now thats not possible soggybottom Im not near that box now. AT the moment im in a netcafe, but i promise to post that first thing in the morning along with the ifconfig settings. Thanx ever so much everyone for the feedback, this site is great.

Good night everyone, cya in the morning.

zip2dip

Posting an comment! after reading new post/replys added in here !

There is a few help files that will help you to get an better understanding of your problem in hands.
    http://www.linux-mag.com/2001-05/routing_03.html
    That site can give you more info on your Routing probelm with your eth0 internal and eth1 external problem if you cant get them to talk with each other.The other problem for your IP-masquradeing/IP Forwarding problem you can get an better picture how to set it up with this info on this site.
    http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/

I think those will come handy to you when you are configureing your LAN.
    Post up your Routeing table.There might be an conflict that makes one of the eth's not reckoning internal from external.

Hello everyone again..... I finally did it, and i also setup my iptables on the box and it works just fine. I installed squid on the FW box and its forwarding http, ftp via proxy (which is more secure than masq anyways). I want to thank all of you who have helped me here and have posted. Your all great peeps. Keep up the good work and thanx ever so much.
    instronics