Newb Question

Thread: Newb Question

Newb Question

hey, I have Linux Mandrake 9.0 and I was just wondering what I do to install filters or something to protect my computer against DoS attacks.

You could use iptables to filter packets coming in to you're computer.And you could use a proxy server to mask you're real ipaddress check out for proxy lists
    and to turn on iptables you must first turn off ipchains to do this you would type

/sbin/chkconfig --level 12345 ipchains off
    /sbin/chkconfig --level 345 iptables on

then you need to unload the ipchains modules you would do this like this

/etc/init.d/ipchains stop
    /sbin/modprobe -r ipchains

then you need to turn on iptables you do this as follows

/etc/init.d/iptables start

i recommend messing around with bash scripts that execute the iptables commands to filter network access and drop or reject specific packets then add iptables that you like to you're /etc/sysyconfig directory so it will start at boot time
    here is a small snipet from my firewall to get you familiar with the iptables command

./iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 20 -j DROP

NOTE you must be root and in the /sbin directory before you can execute the iptables command not unless you set you're PATH

search antionline for tutorials on iptables i know there are a few good tuorials on iptables here and if that doesent satisfy you you could always search google

and there are all sorts of DoS attacks you can set iptables up to stop things like the tear drop attack just search and you will find everything you need
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work

Originally posted here by sweet_angel
    hi r3b00+,
    I learned to set my iptables rules using...iptables tutorial from Oskar Andreasson maybe this one can help you out...
    I just saw this and thought it might help :-)
    When you connect to your ISP, you are potentially opening your computer to the world. There are \'naughty people\' out there who enjoy breaking into other people\'s computers. Give some thought to the security of your computer...