Thread: IOGEAR Homeplug Networking

IOGEAR Homeplug Networking

I read a cool review earlier today and thought I'd share.

When people think of networking, they normally think of Ethernet, Token Ring, Wireless and FDDI (Optical).
    It is rare that you hear someone talk about networking with their power outlets.

Wired or wireless? This is always just about the first thing anyone thinks of when planning their new home/soho office. It always comes down to price/performance/practicality, in whichever order you feel is more important. Sometimes it just isn’t possible to run CAT5, for a variety of reasons. The only options available for the average consumer is wireless, HomePNA, which uses your existing telephone network in your house, and HomePlug, using your existing power grid. HomePNA has been around for around 3 years or so, and has matured some, starting out transmitting at dismal speeds and lackluster reliability in regards to interference. HomePlug is short for HomePlug® Powerline Alliance, a specification requiring that all HomePlug certified devices can communicate with each other properly.

Introducing IOGEAR, a leading manufacturer of HomePlug devices as well as KVM, FireWire, USB and Bluetooth solutions. For further company and product information, please visit www.iogear.com . Recently I was fortunate enough to test two of their HomePlug solutions, the Powerline Network USB adapter and the Powerline Ethernet Bridge. These products are very similar so they will be reviewed in the same article.
    For the full review... click HERE .
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

zip2dip

Lightbulb

That is very rear to hear about networking in the powerlines.
    I have never eaven heard about that before.That was an nice article,i had to read the hole story.Yeah its usually an ethernet,tokenring,or FDDI type that you usually come accross when it comes done to the physical layout of the network.
    Cool article. Thanks for the info...

The Iceman Cometh
    I recently set up a friend with the Linksys Instant PoweLine network. The reason was that the house was too difficult to wire, and she was uninterested in going wireless. The system was extremely simple to set up, and I had all of her computers sharing her DSL connection in about 5 minutes. For users who are not familiar with networks, it would have taken maybe 10-15 minutes to set up at the most. It was simple, and worked over her existing powerlines, which was the most important thing. If you don't want to go wireless or spend the time to wire your place, it's a good alternative. (Just make sure you only have one phase in your house... I wanted to experiment with it here before setting it up with her, but I have two phases, and it took too much work to test every outlet to see which phase eah was on.

AJ

adven: I agree. I was talking to my buddy at work who is in a similar situation. After much evaluation... or research... He just decided to go through the trouble and run the wires. The main reason he choose that is because of the speed. Not to mention wires are inexpensive and very fast. Its not like he was going to run optical through the house. So, wires won... hands down.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.