Selling AO
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling AO

Post Selling AO

AO will more than likely be sold for thousands of dollars to some big corporate company like mircosoft, and my gut feeling just says that isnt right.

i noticed that the sales banner has gone and maybe jp has given up or its been sold. if jp has given up it may be the end of AO cause the reason i beleive jp is selling AO is that he cant afford to support it any more. and if it has been sold, then my gut feeling comes back, so here is this thought.

Would it be a good idea if sombody, like me or joe blogs or some other just-a-guy, buy AO instead of some corporate company.

it did cross my mind of buying AO but like i say, if its a corporate company then its probably been sold for thousands of dollars, particularly if there was competitions between two or more companies.

but, if the price for AO isnt that high, i was wondering if we could all rallie some money together, and let some member thats been here for ages, like senior members of forum moderaters buy AO, that way there will still be the old fasioned AO and not always under threat by the corporate company.

Just a thought,

TN123
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----
    Share on Google+

it's a nice idea... I appreciate it..

because of the fact that , if AO gets into the hands of big corporates, it will be the end of our freedom of speech and sadly it may be in turn the end of AO as well. We the current & future AO members does not like our tongues to be tied. If a big giant buys AO, certainly, the opinions favourable to them will be given preference and my dear fello AOers will be forced to talk in their voice or forced to shut our mouth.
    Sadly this situation may lead the users going away from AO , it is the duty of AO community to prevent this from happening..

I hope it is better to run AO , by a community than a single owner . This does not mean that JP's running of AO was bad.. I appreciate JP's initiate and hardwork to make AO such popular . I wish JP all the best in all his future ventures.

So let this thread be the one who is interested in a part of buying AO. sadly i am a student and not in a position to go infront. But my mental support will always be with this venture and i hope all fellow AOers will join in it

Good luck Jp and good Luck AO
    God is Love
    Share on Google+

Antionline Herpetologist
    It was tried and it didn't go through. The asking price was, for you or me, huge. I do hope that AO hasn't been sold. But if it has, I hope it hasn't been sold to some crappy corporate. If this is the end of AO as we know it, then it's been a fun ride and I've sure as heck enjoyed it. But it is after all JP's site and he can do what he wants with it.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com
    Share on Google+

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Like cgkanchi says, it was tried before,
    see this link:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ght=consortium
    Share on Google+

ok, so it has been tried before, but now there is a real threat of it being sold already. and even so, we can still make this work. it is a lot of money i know. but for those out there who really use AO and its their #1 website, would it be worth it to put some money in and make sure that someone owns it and not corp guys. for example, if there are close to 100,000 active AO members, and they put in $1 dolar eash, but maybe some people might be 5 or ten dolars in.

i think that some people should nominate themselves and then active members at AO can vote on who they all think should run AO. then at least we have something to work for.
    ----Homer J Simpson----
    Share on Google+

as my point of view says, if each member pay what so ever he can pay even if a dollar,
    this site will be ok.

but after the last post we did, regarding this issue,
    it's Obvious that many users don't c anything special in this site, and some just dont have loyality, and other part just can't pay a cent.

and it was so funny from that peeps who said :
    i can't pay, but i also don't like to c any advirtisments in the site.

what guys, u want AO or not any more ??
    if want something u fight for it, nothing good for free these days !!
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?
    Share on Google+

Antionline Herpetologist
    First of all, don't try this. It doesn't work, and you'll only get negged unneccessarily. Secondly, let JP post and tell us what's up with the banner removal, don't jump to conclusions. It might just be that he decided he isn't selling it at all. So let him tell us before we start making plans, alright?

for example, if there are close to 100,000 active AO members, and they put in $1 dolar eash, but maybe some people might be 5 or ten dolars in.
    It's not quite as simple as all that. This has been discussed to death and we couldn't come up with an idea that worked. The asking amount is beyond your wildest dreams. If you ever meet me on IRC I might tell you what it was 2 months back when the banner was first put up. Otherwise, you're on your own.
    Don't get me wrong, I (and all us long-time members, I hope) appreciate what you're trying to do, but you're underestimating the size of AO as a company.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com
    Share on Google+

whats your nick on irc and what channel do you use. i want to know what the asking amount is, i know some people know it. but jp didnt want it advertised.

anyway, i wasnt making any kind of plans, as i said, it was just a thought =)
    ----Homer J Simpson----
    Share on Google+

Yeah... it's just a thought that has been discussed in NUMEROUS threads. Been there, tried that. Let's move on.
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com
    Share on Google+

yea ok.

any moderators can close this thread if they want

TN123
    ----Homer J Simpson----
    Share on Google+