Thread: DSL problems

DSL problems

Hey everyone,
    I've had DSL for about a year now from DirectvDSL, but unfortunately now they're going out of business. They have signed a contract with verizon and all verizon customers (me) should move to verizon dsl which is quite gay..unless we disconnect now to find another host ourselves.

Anyway, I was looking into dsl from cyberonic (www.cyberonic.com). I called them up but they said DSL is not availble in my area.

I asked in a few places about this. Some people said that it might be because I still have DSL hooked up to the line, it shows up as unavailble. I also emailed cyberonic about this, but they said it might be because they don't have equpiment in my CO.

What should I do?

-Mike
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

If they say you don't have DSL in your area... that just means that they don't provide to that area. It doesn't mean you can't get it... obviously.

While I agree with you that your ISP selling out to a different company sucks... it happens all the time. So, it looks like you either get to just go with verizon... find a different ISP that has DSL in your area... or back to dial up it is.

Have you considered cable? You should be able to use your current hardware. Most broadband modems support both cable and DSL. If not... you can sell the DSL modem online and buy a cable modem.

I use verizon for my DSL and I haven't had any problems with them. As long as you have your router up, and they can see only one MAC... you'll be fine. You can even run a small server if you want. They have too many customers to inspect every node individually... so they just scan them. You block their IPs at your firwall... and forward the rest to port 8080 or whatever. They block port 80 by default... so you need to use a redirecting service. But thats another story completely.

I asked in a few places about this. Some people said that it might be because I still have DSL hooked up to the line, it shows up as unavailble. I also emailed cyberonic about this, but they said it might be because they don't have equpiment in my CO.
    You equipemnt shouldn't have anything to do with it. It depends on how far you are from their closest D-Mark (I think its called). Cable can be run practically everywhere... where DSL is a little more difficult. If the demand isn't in your area... then they won't install it there.

I'd just go with verizon. What much else can you do?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Depending on where you live, you may only have one or two high speed internet providers. Where I lived previously I had a choice of SNET DSL and AT&T Broadband. I moved more country side and the ONLY high speed internet provider in my area is Charter Pipeline. You really don't get a huge selection unless you 1. live near a phone company or 2. live in a large commercialized city. I would ask your neighbors who they use or check online to see who services your direct area.

I have Verizon DSL, and I haven't really had any problems since a year ago when I got it setup. On the other hand, however, I have heard many many horror stories about the cable provider in our area, so I think I may have made a good choice. I've heard of things like people being without internet service for months at a time and about really bad customer service. Phish is right, I mean, what choice do you really have unless cable access is available in your area. I've heard it's faster, but I guess there are many factors involved. Good luck.

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Hmm, if you can't qualify for dsl, I can only think of one other high speed system. Its called DirecWay, and it uses sattellite dishes to move the data, but still requires a dialup account. I could go into detail about it, but I think it would probably be easier to just follow This I'm not sure if you can host from it, but it boasts some impressive speeds for downloads.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Well my only problem with verizon is they don't let you set up a server and if I go with them I'd have to set up a redirection service like phishphreek80 said.

I did look into directway, but I heard it has high latency, so it might not be good for servers (if they allow them anyway, I dunno what do you guys think?) Also I don't think I could hook up my router to that...it uses usb i think and I really don't want to set up internet connection sharing.

I might go with verizon and maybe cyberonic will be availble soon. So just because you're in distance doesn't mean you can get every DSL provider in your area? (It is a national ISP and they do serve in my state..)
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

So just because you're in distance doesn't mean you can get every DSL provider in your area? (It is a national ISP and they do serve in my state..)
    Correct. It depends on how far you are from their closest site or D-Mark. They only go a limited distance.

You can find out from them when they expect to get lines out there though. If they tell you that you they need more people... then try to get as many people as you can to call them and request it. That might just be a waste of time though...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

The Iceman Cometh
    Check www.dslreports.com to find who provides DSL service in your area. As for your server, Verizon will allow you to set up a server, but only if you sign up for a business account (as with most DSL and cable providers). Hopefully, DSL Reports will give you some more options and then you can make an informed decision regarding a new provider.

AJ

Hate to say this but most DSL connects for private people don't allow for a Server so check the EULA. BTW Version sucks no tech support, well the sort of read the cheat sheets stuff but ask an in depth question you will get a AHhhh Uhhh what is that? Their billing sucks especally if you have two lines they cannot take one check and credit two lines for some reason (still going around with them for 3 years over a closed paid in full account. Go with them I'll send a free modem LOL. Fact is few choices and unless you use a business account most if not all broadband for private people dissallow a server. Good luck..market place sucks few choices and heavy EULA's in their favor. Next choice is maybe AT&T, Comcast, Covad.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Now, I'm not a big fan of PPPOE but I've had Earthlink for over two years now, and I love it. Once you get it set up. Their online chat tech support is pretty good. Just don't call them. But once you get it running, it's great. But the reason I like earthlink so much is they don't have a cap on your download speed. Verizon, Att Broadband, SBC, and other's I've checked out put a limit on how fast you can download, and if you want faster, you have to pay more. Earthlink is the only DSL that I know that "so far" doesn't put a cap. If you can reach it, you can download at any speed. It just depends on how fast you get off of copper, and onto the company's fiber.

Now, I'm not a big fan of PPPOE but I've had Earthlink for over two years now, and I love it. Once you get it set up. Their online chat tech support is pretty good. Just don't call them. But once you get it running, it's great. But the reason I like earthlink so much is they don't have a cap on your download speed. Verizon, Att Broadband, SBC, and other's I've checked out put a limit on how fast you can download, and if you want faster, you have to pay more. Earthlink is the only DSL that I know that "so far" doesn't put a cap. If you can reach it, you can download at any speed. It just depends on how fast you get off of copper, and onto the company's fiber.