Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good firewall

good firewall

i have a win2k box with iis and i need a good firewall. can you guys suggest one?
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

i am NOT a hacker :Þ

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

Well, if it's a corporate box you should probably look into ISA to help you out. Otherwise, look at one of the following:

Agnitum's Outpost
    Tiny Firewall
    ZoneAlarm

These are free firewalls of varying abilities and effects.

Don't forget to have AV software installed.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    An openbsd box with packet filtering and authpf installed

EDIT: I assigned the greenies, wrong window.. heh.. your welcome, welcome to AO..

/me backs out the thread quietly..... then starts running

For software firewalls i recommendSygate or Kerio.

pak

I will assume this is for home or personal use. If so I have been using Zone Alarm for about a year and it has been working well for me. I have my 2K box set up as a gateway and use the pro version. I am using the connection sharing function of 2K and use the Pro version of Zone Alarm to protect all my boxes behind the gateway.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

My personal favorite is kerio's firewall which is free for personal use. most of the free firewalls have previously been mentioned. I have tryed many firewalls, they all have their pro's and con's. Once you have found one to try you can test it out online at www.pcflank.com

At pcflank you can run a number of security scans without downloading any program files or exacutables. But you must remember that configuration of your firewall is important. Most firewalls come with help files and online documentation. These are worth reading, even if you dont fully understand it. It will provide you with a better understanding so that you can create efective rules that will meet your security needs and wants.
    You never run out of things that can go wrong
    Quoted from:[glowpurple]Aston Shell[/glowpurple]

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    I found this site, it basically is a comparison of all kinds of firewalls in a table like manner. Alot of information but, visually (if printed out), seems quite easy to read. I think this is excellent for anyone looking to compare firewalls (imo).

Check it out

Hope this helps

I do also understand, it will be 'slightly'(and I use that word liberally) biased towards Agnitum's Outpost (good old marketing). Hey, it's a start though.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Well out of all the firewalls I’ve used hears how I would rank them.

1. Kerio/Tiny (small and powerful)
    2. Sygate (a close second)
    3. Zone alarm pro (good ease of use)
    4. Black Ice (It’s had problems in the past and there’s better free firewalls)

Also heard good things about the Kerio 3 beta.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

I'm using an external, hardware-based firewall/router D-Link DI-604. It's great if you have a home network, because it acts as a router and a firewall at the same time. None of your computers will actually be visible to the net, only that little box.

Of software firewalls I've used ZoneAlarm which is good in that it's easy to use and free for personal use.

You might also want to check some of our previous firewall threads..:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=132899
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=227722
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25